The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Yeah, I feel like I'm up on my hill watching the most horrible train wreck happen below me, waiting for the horrible screeching metal sounds to stop so I can assess what's left. It won't be good , is all I know for 100% sure. But, that's why we prep and grow stuff, to take care of that which we can control in all this, through aches, pains and injuries, but we plod onward. I hope more and more will begin to grow food and stop relying on the supply chain as much since that is grinding to a halt.

Yeah, I feel like I'm up on my hill watching the most horrible train wreck happen below me, waiting for the horrible screeching metal sounds to stop so I can assess what's left. It won't be good , is all I know for 100% sure. But, that's why we prep and grow stuff, to take care of that which we can control in all this, through aches, pains and injuries, but we plod onward. I hope more and more will begin to grow food and stop relying on the supply chain as much since that is grinding to a halt.
That's what it feels like, for sure. I've stopped looking at the news unless I need to. The numbers. 'Cause it just hurts.
I like being self-sufficient. But, the pullets broke into our wire-wrapped beds. They ate our lettuce, beets, and shallots. They ripped it from the ground, ate it, and still aren't earning their keep with eggs yet. Another few weeks.....:lau

I like being self-sufficient. But, the pullets broke into our wire-wrapped beds. They ate our lettuce, beets, and shallots. They ripped it from the ground, ate it, and still aren't earning their keep with eggs yet. Another few weeks.....
Bad girls! Try higher beds like these. Unless some of mine lose weight, they are not getting their fat bums off the ground into these beds!
DSC06849.JPG

Ha! Ours aren't fat hens yet, minus our Orp. Nice!
It won't be long until they are less inclined to fly, unless they're maybe the more agile, lightweight breeds. Pullets can be trouble, I know! I had one in the early years, a Barred Rock, who would clear a gate and get out regularly, even one Orp pullet would manage to do it. Then, the spread happened, LOL.

It won't be long until they are less inclined to fly, unless they're maybe the more agile, lightweight breeds. Pullets can be trouble, I know! I had one in the early years, a Barred Rock, who would clear a gate and get out regularly, even one Orp pullet would manage to do it. Then, the spread happened, LOL.
Yeah. We have 2 EEs, 2 Doms, one SS, and our evil Orp.
Vanilla, one of the EEs, is very lightweight. Her wing feathers are doing their juvie molt right now, but as a two-day old she was able to clear the ~4 inch box sides (it had a lid) we got them from the farm store in.
A couple weeks ago, she wandered up onto our 10 foot high deck, along with the Doms. They jumped through the railings. The Doms landed in heaps on the lawn, (unharmed). But Vanilla....She flew around 30 feet across the yard. Silly bird. She was fine though.

Hi Kaley! I'm Michelle, and I'm pretty quiet these days, too. I'm kind-of nestled in the mountains of VA, between the Blue Ridge mountains and the Appalachian mountains. Super busy with my kiddos and our little funny farm. Current fun farm stuff: we have 3 hens sitting on eggs and I have been on twice a day checks on my cow (avatar pic) who is due Friday with her second calf. I don't think she will make it through the weekend before she has it!

Back
Top Bottom