The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Very excited to see your flock grow! I'm enjoying living vicariously through you
smile.png
I live in a city and so am quite limited by the no rooster/6 bird minimum my city has. Someday I want to grow up and be just like you
wink.png
lol Your birds are just gorgeous!
LOL, thanks! Glad you joined us here on Atlas's thread

I like Cherokee Purple best of all the black tomatos I've grown
Can't wait to taste one fresh off the vine.

Well here is pictures of how my day went. Well part of it. Sorry for the photo bomb Cyn. Just thought u would like it. If not I can remove the post.

As u can see, Buttercup has gone slab sided!

Tail is up and there is constant pacing.

U can see the water sack poking out.

You can see a foot!

Head is poking out!

The whole head is out!

Everything but the back feet are out.

Cleaning her baby boy.

Wow, wow, wow, what awesome photos! Thanks so much, Isaiah! You're welcome to post here anytime.

Thank you! I was really waiting to see this again so I could get pics but they all were calving at night or when we were gone! Then I noticed her pacing around yesterday and ran to get the camera!

Its a big bull calf. Sadly white bull calves stay for bitcher calves since they dont get good prices at the sales barn.

Thank you! I was really waiting to see this again so I could get pics but they all were calving at night or when we were gone! Then I noticed her pacing around yesterday and ran to get the camera!

Its a big bull calf. Sadly white bull calves stay for bitcher calves since they dont get good prices at the sales barn.

I think you mean "butcher" calves, right? Is there a reason that white bulls don't bring good prices?

So, first hatchalong report:
I had to remove the #4 egg from the incubator. Saw the telltale crystallized-looking deposits of whites coming through the pores in several spots so removed, inspected and candled the egg. It is slightly porous, not a big deal, but in addition to that, it has one of the floaty air cells, so I think that one was just tossed a bit too hard in shipping and couldn't take it. If you leave those in, they continue to seep, unfortunately.

None of the others show anything like that at this time, at least from looking with my maglite into the bator from above. The batch that Tiny and Rita came out of had several like that, all excellent quality BRs, about a year before I got my Stukels. I was doing a fertility test for someone and sadly, none of those made it because of that issue with severe porosity. I've noticed that Ida's eggs are always very blotchy, but as you saw, hers almost always hatch so that alone is not an issue.

Can you see it here? I tried to get the picture, not easy, but this little used camera I got is pretty decent.

Last edited:
I've got a full house right now. Daughter, and 3 grandkids are staying with us for awhile. Middle granddaughter pushed the button on my battery back up, which the incubator was plugged into, and shut it off. I don't really know how long it was off, or if the eggs will be ok. She knows not to touch it now, but it may be too little, too late. I'll know more about it in a week, when I candle the eggs.

I've got a full house right now. Daughter, and 3 grandkids are staying with us for awhile. Middle granddaughter pushed the button on my battery back up, which the incubator was plugged into, and shut it off. I don't really know how long it was off, or if the eggs will be ok. She knows not to touch it now, but it may be too little, too late. I'll know more about it in a week, when I candle the eggs.

Oh, no! Hope it wasn't off too long. Hoping for the best! I added to my above post just as you posted this.

Last edited:
Getaclue, hopefully it will be ok and it wasn't a long shutoff.

If you don't catch those oozing eggs early they cement themselves to the turner - last year I had to disassemble one rack and scrape the shell out with a knife

Cyn the reason they bring less is because people want "Angus". So people buy black steers that may be Gelbvieh or Simmental and feed them out, butcher amd then sell as "black angus". But the consumers dont know that so they make money on mutts that are being sold as Angus.

Cyn the reason they bring less is because people want "Angus". So people buy black steers that may be Gelbvieh or Simmental and feed them out, butcher amd then sell as "black angus". But the consumers dont know that so they make money on mutts that are being sold as Angus.

It's funny, I don't recall my grandfather getting more for Angus than other breeds. I'm not sure it was that way many years ago. Sounds like the chicken market in a way, doesn't it? Mutts sold as "Ameraucanas". Folks sure get all "het-up" over the term "mutt" when you say that, for some reason. Just means a mix.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom