The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Sorry your SILs husband is not doing well. :(

This heat is killing me. It's been around 100* for a few weeks with no end in sight. And it's so dry. I've been freezing 2 liter bottles to put in my chickens water bucket. I also have some frozen raspberries and I break off a chunk and put it in a pan of water for them. Or some nice cold watermelon rinds. I've also been spraying down the roof of their coop and run to cool it down. My neighbors with chickens all say their chickens have slowed way down on laying because of the heat.

You can get so much more land out there! Here we have almost half an acre and it's one of the biggest lots in our neighborhood. It's very hard to get more land than that without paying a lot more or living in the middle of nowhere.

So sorry to hear of more family troubles for you. That's sad. I'm no good with the heat either. My slogan this time of year is I hate summer. Stay cool.
Amazingly, we have the same exact saying. I just said it to my husband.

Sorry your SILs husband is not doing well. :(

This heat is killing me. It's been around 100* for a few weeks with no end in sight. And it's so dry. I've been freezing 2 liter bottles to put in my chickens water bucket. I also have some frozen raspberries and I break off a chunk and put it in a pan of water for them. Or some nice cold watermelon rinds. I've also been spraying down the roof of their coop and run to cool it down. My neighbors with chickens all say their chickens have slowed way down on laying because of the heat.

You can get so much more land out there! Here we have almost half an acre and it's one of the biggest lots in our neighborhood. It's very hard to get more land than that without paying a lot more or living in the middle of nowhere.

I remember living in Utah and Colorado. The dry heat is so much better than this heat index we have. Right now, it's 88* but about 50% humidity, though that's way lower than it has been for the last few weeks of rain. Try that 88* with 95-100% humidity. That shoots the heat index through the roof.

My husband lived in VA/WV for a few years and he said the humidity in the summer was terrible. I've only lived in UT and ID were it's dry dry dry lol, so I can't imagine. I don't like the heat but I absolutely hate cold, between the 2 I'd take the heat. We have a nice little summer storm going through right now which I love so much. It's cooling it down and I just love the sound and smell of rain.

My husband lived in VA/WV for a few years and he said the humidity in the summer was terrible. I've only lived in UT and ID were it's dry dry dry lol, so I can't imagine. I don't like the heat but I absolutely hate cold, between the 2 I'd take the heat. We have a nice little summer storm going through right now which I love so much. It's cooling it down and I just love the sound and smell of rain.

You may change your mind when you get older about the heat. I can't take the heat. My husband says he can't take the cold. To me, if it's over 75*, it's blazing hot.

Oh, someone got caught on the game camera again. This time, Atlas did battle, caught in action! Check out the predator!
And Druscilla with her typical Dru expression.

STC_0159.JPG
STC_0161.JPG
STC_0162.JPG

What a show off. :)

Isn't that funny how us women get hotter and the men get colder as we age. My AC is set at 70 degrees, that's my tolerance level.

Seems it's always the same. I tell him it's because he spent so much time below the "gnat line" (in south GA) that he doesn't mind the heat as much as I do.

Haha, protecting his flock from the dangerous turtle!

If I could live somewhere that was 75* year round I'd love it.

Yeah, that turtle was really about to eat some chicken, I'm sure!
I wish temps year round could go between 50* and 70*. Dream on.

And, by the way, I put 4 Brahma eggs under Thea. Lizzie's are due Sunday. Still can't break up Tessa or Bonnie. I'm going to bed to read my Kindle and fall asleep, hopefully. Getting up that early makes me tired by 8 p.m., but I watched Master Chef first. So, I'll see you folks tomorrow.

You guys would appreciate the heat more if you spent a winter here. Last one was not awful, but we had two in a row of bone freezing cold. One of those we had temp above 20 degrees only 3 days in 6 weeks. My hands get very stiff in cold weather, and clearing the driveway with the tractor was agony at times. Heading to Florida for a week or so was heaven. I would love to be here spring-summer-fall, and southern Gulf Coast in the winter.

You guys would appreciate the heat more if you spent a winter here. Last one was not awful, but we had two in a row of bone freezing cold. One of those we had temp above 20 degrees only 3 days in 6 weeks. My hands get very stiff in cold weather, and clearing the driveway with the tractor was agony at times. Heading to Florida for a week or so was heaven. I would love to be here spring-summer-fall, and southern Gulf Coast in the winter.
Hey northern neighbor. Lately central Wisconsin doesn't seem cold enough to me. I have dreamed of moving north and becoming a yooper. The arthritis pain is definitely worse, but I'd rather be cooler than hot.

Back
Top Bottom