The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

The little one was on its feet this morning, couldn't easily tell which one it was. It still may not make it, but it perked up from the water, vitamins and little bit of baby cereal I got down it. It's just barely two days old today, having hatched very late on the 17th so it's still not out of the woods. It's hard to tell if they're all eating and drinking when you have such a swarm of feathered ants in a brooder. Five or six, no problem, but seventeen chicks, many looking very much alike, and it becomes a challenge.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRGGGG! One BR chick, a pullet, is cheeping incessantly. Tom has kept it in his pocket to quiet her down but she starts back up again when she goes back in the brooder. It's making it impossible to quilt! I have seen her poop, no pasty butt, but she won't eat or drink. I'm afraid that she is not going to make it. I've never, ever had one just cheep constantly this way. The Brahma chick I was worried about is up and running and eating egg yolk with all the others, but the Hector daughter won't even look at it. She has no interest in what they're doing.

That's not good.

Mine arrived this morning, 2 dead Catalans, and 2 Catalans weak - they are a smaller bird and who knew the weather would be this cold middle of April. They put in green gel which I'm sure helped. Weaker ones got sugar water, and have started pecking at food on their own. They put a few extra in so there are still 25, but I had to take a picture to count them because they move around sooo much. 6 Speckled Sussex, 5 buff Catalan, and the rest Delawares. Except they threw in a few Coronation Sussex, which I believe look exactly like Delawares, so I don't know just what I have there.

I had a mad cheeper too, but when I looked one of the Delaware chicks was dragging a speckled Sussex across the brooder by the toe :rolleyes:

IMG_20180419_125607.jpg

The little crazed cheeper has found her sweet spot, so to speak. She is finally eating and drinking. Tom said she just wanted a mama. I was about to see if Brandy would take the BRs and sell all the Brahmas, give Brandy's eggs to Bonnie and put Bonnie's in the incubator. Glad I didn't have to play musical eggs! And the Brahma I was worried about apparently has decided to stick around as well. So, I guess we are almost out of the woods here on day three after hatch.

I so hope the super light tank of a Brahma chick is a pullet. I may keep her, if so. That one is special and may be a splash. There is one other very light one without chipmunk stripes that could also be a splash partridge, but it's not quite as big or on the spot to run to me. I would love for there to be a surplus of pullets in that batch. The admin of the chicken swap group on FB really wants a couple of my Brahma girls and she's been really nice, can't have roosters where she lives. I'd love to make an exception to my "no pullets without cockerels" sale rule.

I'm glad the ones you were worried about seem to be bouncing back for now. I hope you get that surplus of pullets!

Thanks! And for even more good news, when I picked up my broody partridge Brahma hen, Brandy, awhile ago, her bloaty crop was way, way down. Yesterday, I only gave her yogurt mixed with some jarred baby food and later, did the red wine trick. That worked! I put a few biscuit crumbles in the tablespoon of wine to get her started on it. Today, after days of very bloated crop, it's almost non-existent. We keep a cheap bottle around to cook with and it has only a couple of tablespoons left in it. Time to spend another $2.97, haha!

See, you should drink wine too, it's good for what ails you! Maybe spend a little more than $2.97 though :D

My shaky chicks also look much better today, although the weakest is still not running around yet. She loves to be hand-fed, pecks happily at the syringe and closes her eyes in pleasure while swallowing. Hope she makes it.

See, you should drink wine too, it's good for what ails you! Maybe spend a little more than $2.97 though :D

My shaky chicks also look much better today, although the weakest is still not running around yet. She loves to be hand-fed, pecks happily at the syringe and closes her eyes in pleasure while swallowing. Hope she makes it.

I just don't like the taste. Makes my jaw feel like it got an electric shock. Really, I'm serious. Not sure what that's about, but I don't like concord grape juice, either. White grape juice is fine, but the tart stuff, no way.

Glad you little girls is hanging in there. I always say that the best tool in your chicken health arsenal are your own two eyes, your powers of observation. Just noticing a problem in the first place is the first step in possibly solving it. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir in this crowd!

My Wynette laid an egg today. Sure wish it was fertile by Hector and not Atlas. But, Wynette was scared of Hector when he was just a little tyke, LOL.

My big, gorgeous girl, everything a BR hen should be. Ignore the human servant. That gives me an idea, though. Everyone on this thread, post a picture of yourself holding a chicken!

DSC01521.JPG

Back
Top Bottom