The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

What a story, when the movie comes out please tell me! What you had were the finest batch of "braveheart "chickens, I hope you were left with many descendants to carry on.
Suede has many descendents around the country and LH has several of his progeny still, including Zena.
Quote: Those are certainly traits I breed for in my roosters. And a male with great conformation and color to boot? What a treasure! That's what I strive for here, no matter the breed, Orpington or Rock.

I'm also looking forward to following this journey! I can't have a roo myself, and the story of Atlas #1 made me realize how very unfortunate it is that my girls will live without such noble accompaniment. That being said, I am 100% sure that my ladies will also be brave!

I'm also looking forward to following this journey! I can't have a roo myself, and the story of Atlas #1 made me realize how very unfortunate it is that my girls will live without such noble accompaniment. That being said, I am 100% sure that my ladies will also be brave!

Welcome to BYC!

The hens can fight like tigers as well when threatened. especially if they're broody. If you were touched by the story of the original Atlas, you'll be amazed by this one about her blue Orpington rooster, Lancelot: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/521876/why-have-a-rooster-new-pg-10-video-pg-13

Hey, Mike, thanks for stopping by. I hope Atlas meets my expectations. I do need a double barred male for these BR hens if I want to keep producing birds near the quality of the hens he came out of.

Last edited:
Shhh, he's a future flock breeder and leader. We will keep your mushy methods to ourselves. Don't want his future hens looking into his evolution thread and laughing at him.
hmm.png

Of course, I do have high hopes for this one after losing Indy, though I can't imagine him being as much of a dinosaur as Indy was. That was a giant cockerel, which is one reason I think Isaac saw him as a major threat, that plus Ike never liked the barred hens anyway. A big youngster with barring surpassing him in size was something he just couldn't tolerate. He's jumped Deacon plenty of times, even chastised Rex when Rex was in there with him, but that was a hit with purpose. I can't allow Atlas to be in the coop with Isaac for fear of the same tragedy happening again.

Atlas is 5 weeks old. His barring is not the quality of the original Stukel Rocks and I would not expect that, however, he is properly double factor barred and it's looking pretty decent so far. Naturally, time will tell if it continues on the same course. He definitely is feathering slower than his four sisters. He would be one step closer to what I need in the breeder male over Rex (love that Rex, great flock leader, superior free ranger).

Atlas on left, sister on right, of course.

Back
Top Bottom