The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

What kind of chicks are the wild patterned ones? I have been hunting for some easter eggers or amerucanas near me. I do not drive very far anymore.

Those are Blue Partridge/Partridge Brahmas, Gloria Jean. And there are two Dark Brahmas in there, the two darkest ones, but the wild pattern is the partridge. Sorry, no blue eggs there.

You know, Gypsy laid an egg day before yesterday and today. Today's was stuck in her petticoats, LOL. She was walking around with it bumping up and down. She will turn 9 yrs old in November.

For now, I'm going to keep the trio. If no one has the good sense to buy them at those ridiculous prices, then I will just keep Athena, Zara and their brother, who I suppose also needs a name.

See the Brahma babies? They are so personable, very friendly chicks.

0.jpg

Pictures of the Dirty Dozen since they've passed 2 weeks old now. I think I have an exact split in the sexes, six and six, though one could surprise me, certainly-the combs are rising up on the males already. @uphilljill @1muttsfan

Definite pullet, feathers like I'm used to. Some are also getting shoulder feathers now.

Another pullet-shoulder feathers coming in.

Cockerel, right?

ACTION SHOT! LoL

Group of girls

Oh, no question this is a little GUY. Just look at those bars.

Looking good! And great job sexing them. LOVE the action shot! Lol

So, you concur with my findings on those few I called in the pictures, then, Jill? I tried sexing them every way, upside down and backwards, LOL. Today, I tried to count only the definite cockerels and I could only count four. Now, that's just too good to be true so I'm still betting there is an even split. There is one that I'm really on the fence about, has a little dark on the leg fronts, a head spot that could be either and barring that is in between as well. But, in a week or so, it will be easier to get a definite count. Well, maybe, if they can hold still for 5 seconds at a time! I can keep one male and maybe three or four pullets but I don't have room for more than that so will keep the best ones. That last cockerel in the pictures is one that already has super nice barring so I'll be watching his royal self closely.

You'll really be able to tell in another week or two when the body feathers come in and the combs redden, but your picks look right to me so far. I will occasionally get a darker than ideal male, but you can still tell the difference in barring from the females.

Pay close attention to those with nice fat heads and wide backs. That's what I look for at this age.

You'll really be able to tell in another week or two when the body feathers come in and the combs redden, but your picks look right to me so far. I will occasionally get a darker than ideal male, but you can still tell the difference in barring from the females.

Pay close attention to those with nice fat heads and wide backs. That's what I look for at this age.
The cockerel out of Atlas with my big Stukel hen, Ida, is super round. He's not overall as large as one I recently sold, but his shape seems nice. I may end up keeping him, but will decide when I have more to sell and then see what I can pair up with what and who can stay, etc.
Ida is actually Atlas's mother and Atlas's sire was a single barred male who was Delaware x Stukel Rock (Ida, again, I do believe).
What would you say about this guy? He's just over 11 weeks old now.

That is really nice barring on the last cockerel. Love the Flappity
big_smile.png
I think so, too. He's going to be an early favorite. Have to see how his wing carriage and width is, as Jill mentioned. I didn't even realize I caught the action until I downloaded the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom