The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

So sorry to hear of Becca's passing. Knowing it is coming doesn't make it any easier.

I'm glad Finn is safely home. I'm not looking forward to this coming cold weather! I'd like warm with some rain!

So sorry to hear of Becca's passing. Knowing it is coming doesn't make it any easier.

I'm glad Finn is safely home. I'm not looking forward to this coming cold weather! I'd like warm with some rain!
We haven't had rain in probably 3 months, though last night, a rush of rain sped through here and lasted about 1 minute, literally. That's really the first water from the sky in that long. It's so dry, it's a serious fire danger, especially with the leaves all over the ground.

Sorry about Becca. Glad Finn made it home safely.
Thanks. Becca lived a long life. She was not direct hatchery, but her parents were. Amanda and she had the same sire, different mothers. Gypsy seems a bit lost this morning. She just presided over the deaths of two hens who were over her in stature and now, she's in charge. I bet she feels a tad shell-shocked.

Cyn, do you put those breakaway collars on Finn? They are supposed to keep them from getting hung up on something and stuck there. It might be a good idea for the wandering Finn.
Yes, only the breakaway flea collars, nothing else, same as he's lost over and over again. Thought we'd try one on him again since we write his name and our phone number on them (they fade off quickly, though) and he kept it on longer this time. But, no, the way he is, I'd never put a "normal" collar on him.

ETA: Amanda gave us an egg this morning, first time since the beginning of the year. Amazing, this old gal, laying at almost ten years old and crippled to boot. It's so weird in there with two missing ladies, but it was bound to happen soon, with more to come, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the loss of Becca, Cyn. After such a long time, she must've left a huge gap in the coop.
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear of the loss of Becca, Cyn. After such a long time, she must've left a huge gap in the coop.
hugs.gif

Thank you, Sumi. I can't help but think of how the other hens have never known a world without Becca and Caroline. They were the only hens here, other than Amanda, who were older than Gypsy so it must be very strange for her and the others who've always had a world with those two hens in it.

Quote: I noticed with my current and previous flocks how especially the younger members notice when one leaves… The whole flock dynamic changes and sometimes the remaining birds look a bit lost almost for awhile.

Even though in your mind you know the loss is coming, your heart is never prepared. Yes, the dynamics will change some, and everyone will seem a bit "lost" at first, but within several days, they will resume normal coop life.

Glad Finn came home safely. I'd have a firm talking-to with him, because of the wild pack animals, and stray dogs in the area. Will he listen? Probably not, but it's worth a try. I did the "stay in your yard" command with mine, every time I let my dogs out. While it did not work every time, over time, it worked more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom