The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Do you Trim your older birds nails? My older hens seem like they need a trim.

I trim the ones who don't naturally wear theirs down like my crippled hens and those who just don't dig around and get them filed down on their own. My two Blue Rock girls always have what I call "Freddie Krueger" nails and need major trims. Also, a couple of my little Belgian D'Anver hens have one or two curved nails that threaten to grow back into their toes so I use a cat nail trimmer to cut theirs. Many of my hens, no matter the age, never need a trim. They must dig around enough to file them naturally.

I sold my Lumina sedan this morning. Guy could not believe his luck. He's a single father and needed a vehicle badly. Others were trying to talk me down from my already super-bargain price. That car was immaculate inside and out, not a tear in the seats, carpet or dash, great tires, good gas mileage, and we told him every problem it had that we knew of. I didn't trade it in because some dealer would give me pennies for it then charge someone else a premium. This way, I could help someone else get a vehicle that he desperately needed for a good price. I hope he gets a lot more years out of her. I'm going to miss her a lot! I've had her for almost 17 years. It's like my kid went off to college but won't ever come back. Sigh. That Lumina was probably the best sedan that Chevy ever made, though I had a Celebrity station wagon that was almost as good. For the first time ever, we have two foreign name vehicles in our driveway, though even supposedly American named brands have lots of foreign parts so are American in name only.

ETA: Does my SIL know me or what? She gave me this set of salt-and-pepper shakers and a matching candle. They go with my red rooster Paula Deen napkin holder pretty well, I think.

Last edited:
Glad to see everything worked out with your vehicles. Those are cool salt and pepper shakers.
Thanks, me, too. That nice man was over the moon. My husband even said he was welcome to take it to a mechanic if he wanted, but he was so thrilled with the smooth ride and the humming engine, he said he was set on buying it right then. Hope it gives him years of service as it did us.

Oh, yeah, Sherry said she saw these and they said "CYN!" so she had to get them. She thinks my Belgian D'anvers are beautiful. They need to be since they don't lay eggs, sheesh.

I'm uploading a video about my favorite homestead chicken. I have to get a larger capacity SD card for the camera; it's always cutting me off before I get all the way to the end of what I want to say, but at least, it didn't cut me off mid-sentence. And you'll get a long view of Atlas and his girls dustbathing. It may take another couple of hours. It's already taken about 4 hrs and is only half uploaded. Sigh.

Love those Salt and Pepper shakers!
big_smile.png

Even though I have chickens, I've tried to avoid chicken bric a brac, to no avail. Friends, and relatives all tend to give me chicken themed gifts. While I don't really like most of it, I've resigned myself to it.

Even though I have chickens, I've tried to avoid chicken bric a brac, to no avail. Friends, and relatives all tend to give me chicken themed gifts. While I don't really like most of it, I've resigned myself to it.

I don't have a lot, just two decor type pictures that my son got me, one decorative plate and this set that Sherry gave me, plus a few kitchen towels. I don't encourage it. Some of it is really nice, some is just weird, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom