The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I believe it comes down to visual defect vrs deadly defect. How unfortunate Hector's tail is not better! But tails can be improved. When dealing with recessive deadly genetic defects it's best to eliminate known carriers from the gene pool. Since it seems clear that Apollo is a carrier, you could do some test hatchings with each girl individually, separating them and collecting eggs from each to try to ID who are female carriers. It would be a lot of work, though.

I believe it comes down to visual defect vrs deadly defect. How unfortunate Hector's tail is not better! But tails can be improved. When dealing with recessive deadly genetic defects it's best to eliminate known carriers from the gene pool. Since it seems clear that Apollo is a carrier, you could do some test hatchings with each girl individually, separating them and collecting eggs from each to try to ID who are female carriers. It would be a lot of work, though.
Yes, of course, it is preferable to have a defect that could be corrected or at least, that doesn't kill the poor bird. If Apollo is a carrier, it's a shocker that Atlas is the source. Atlas is not leaving here, never will, but his progeny are now out of the question. He will be heading up a laying flock only I guess. I can't hatch and hatch and hatch to figure it out, not feasible, unfortunately. It's really not that important when I could just sell Apollo for now. He would be fine with unrelated hens as a backyard flock rooster.

I have to chuckle with all the drama surrounding Hector's tail. He took FOREVER to get one, then it was droopy. At least he has one and it's full and sweeping, just held too low. We were all biting our nails waiting for the first sign of a tail on that boy.

Yes he really kept us waiting!

And Thea is still clucking, but not sitting. She flares up, but still wants me to pick her up and hold her. She is most definitely the head hen in that pen. She showed bossy Rowena who the real boss was. Ro is fine with Hector, seems to have accepted that group as her own now. Maybe it will make up for Mary as far as Hector goes. I wish we had not lost poor, sweet Mary, but no one could have foreseen that.

Last edited:
I have to chuckle with all the drama surrounding Hector's tail. He took FOREVER to get one, then it was droopy. At least he has one and it's full and sweeping, just held too low. We were all biting our nails waiting for the first sign of a tail on that boy.
How about a current picture of the famous tail!?
big_smile.png
We haven't seen Hector in awhile!

Back
Top Bottom