The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Glad you are keeping them together, they sound safe with their current mom. I am starting to like them too now that I know they come in such pretty colors. I like big chickens.

The barnevelder hens are gorgeous in my opinion, it's an understated coloring that needs to be seen in person to really appreciate it. The roosters are super gentle and often get bullied by other roosters, at least the ones I've had.

My Brandy has the most perfect lacing. Bailey's is very muddled. Cora's is in between, but she is only about 24 weeks old, if I recall and it may sharpen up somewhat later.
This picture shows Brandy's lacing off nicely. I know Brahmas would do quite well in your area, Lisa, with their pea combs and furry pj's. Thankfully, Brandy seems to be satisfied with her two times broody and has not gone in for a 3rd like sister, Bonnie.

Attachments

• DSC03496.JPG
    DSC03496.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 9
I am liking the partridge coloring. I though Brahma came in just light, dark and buff. Your hen is beautifully marked. I think some Brahma are in my future after my numbers come down a bit. Hopefully I can find nice birds like yours. You have set the bar high for good looking birds.

Of course, my parent stock were hatched from brahmapapa's eggs. He did all the work before I got them; I can only take credit for appreciating them. I think you'd love them. Bash is the biggest sweetheart ever. I can walk up to him and just pick him up and pet him, he doesn't even struggle, such a love. Good thing, that. You certainly don't want a 2 ft tall 15 lb rooster ramming you. Tom really likes him, too.

No nasty roosters here. I swore I would never be terrorized by my poultry. Had enough of that as a kid. Your rooster sounds as tall as a turkey, cool. A gentle demeanor is definitely necessary for such a big boy.

Someone on the chicken swap group on FB, some guy says if we bring the two cockerels to Dalton, he'll buy them both. That's an hour away from us and I'm asking $8 for one or both. My answer:

Though we appreciate the offer, our policy is that no birds leave the property unless they are with their new owners, bought and paid for. It's just over an hour's drive to Dalton for us and at this giveaway price, not worth losing it all in gas money anyway. But, thanks.

Why can't folks come get what they want? Good grief.

Yes, any pet the best way to go is natural old age.
Been playing with the cross calculator. Is crazy that the first mix only has 2 options but then the 2nd mix has like 30. I'm like ..what? I can't wait till spring when hopefully I can do the first crosses :)

Some nice looking barbs you got there for sure.
Yeah, occasionally I'll ask if someone can deliver to me but only if it's not out of people'sway and if it is I always offer gas money. Folks that either don't bother to think about time and gas costs or are just selfish enough to not care are just annoying.

Wow at that price they definitely shouldn't be asking you to deliver, you're already practically giving them away. My dad had a similar thing- he was giving away some old sprinkler parts for free and somebody asked if he could bring the stuff to him 45 minutes away. My unemployed, disabled Dad without a working car. He told them no, he could just throw them away for nothing instead of the cost of gas and borrowing a car. The guy actually argued with him about it, since he really lives 1.5 hours away, so he'd be meeting him halfway. I'm pretty sure my dad just threw it away lol. Seriously, if you're getting a good deal on something you should be willing to pick it up!

I love your pics of the old Stukel girls, they are still gorgeous. :)

I have so much to do today and so little energy. My baby needs to let me get a full nights sleep! I need to clean out under my deck and get my bunnies moved under there so I don't have to walk around the whole house to get to them. My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow and I still don't have anything for it- no cake, food, presents. Plus my house is a disaster and needs to be cleaned before then. But I'm tired and my baby is fussy so I'm wasting time on BYC instead lol.

Back
Top Bottom