The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

speckled, that is so pretty.
Thanks, Cheryl. It took an entire yard of the rooster fabric because I was cutting out the roosters and leaving the rest. It's called fussy cutting, though you may know this, and there's a lot of waste with that, but I saved as much as possible to use in something else, just not the roosters themselves. When you look at the fabric and the quilt, you can see how much I had to cut out to put a rooster in every square.
DSC02918.JPG

No, Michelle! Don't show me that, LOL. Looks like a postcard, though. Nice photo!
It's so pretty. I'd rather this than mud. We've had such a wet year, I am sure there will be more snow in the future. I think we ended up with 16 inches this time around. The boys will be out of school again tomorrow, at the very least.

The quilt is lovely! I wish I would have taken quilting as my fabrics elective in college, instead of puppetry. Although... puppetry was fun!

Cyn, have you considered putting a steer on your lot anymore? I am so in love with our dexters. A heritage breed you may want to consider if you do go down that road. They are the smallest standard size cattle... so not really a mini, but easily considered one. They are thrifty foragers, it does not take much to keep them in condition, and hardy. They require a half acre compared to the full acre regular sized cattle need. They're smaller, so easier to handle, and gentle. You'll end up with smaller cuts of meat for the freezer, and less than a giant Angus, but for us that is desirable. We wouldn't eat a whole large steer a year in our house. I love them so much that we just bought our cow's sister... who is just a year older. She's halter trained and trained to milk. My milking adventure starts in April, when she is due. She's also a chondro carrier, so she is a dwarf, making her even smaller! Both talls and "shorties" are accepted in the breed standards. I NEVER imagined myself as a real cowgirl!

The quilt is lovely! I wish I would have taken quilting as my fabrics elective in college, instead of puppetry. Although... puppetry was fun!

Cyn, have you considered putting a steer on your lot anymore? I am so in love with our dexters. A heritage breed you may want to consider if you do go down that road.

Thank you. I want to finish that in a few days and let her know it's ready.

We still don't have the pasture lot fenced. A steer is not out of the question yet, though we've generally quit eating most red meat (can't afford the stuff). I love Dexters!

I'm very worried this morning about Gypsy. She was very unsteady on her feet, couldn't fly up to a roost shelf that we put up for Tiny with a metal cup so she could eat in peace away from the other hens. Could be her joints were stiff from the cold morning, but she is 11 years old and could begin a downhill slide. She is the only bird here who has my permission to live to 20! We love that beautiful girl; she's so special. @seminolewind knows! She had Gypsy's lookalike sister, Valerie. I hope she's okay.

I'm very worried this morning about Gypsy. She was very unsteady on her feet, couldn't fly up to a roost shelf that we put up for Tiny with a metal cup so she could eat in peace away from the other hens. Could be her joints were stiff from the cold morning, but she is 11 years old and could begin a downhill slide. She is the only bird here who has my permission to live to 20! We love that beautiful girl; she's so special. @seminolewind knows! She had Gypsy's lookalike sister, Valerie. I hope she's okay.
There is a vet who has blended special oils that you can use on animals. They have one for pain.i used it on my old girl and myself. It works.

Birds and Chickens do great with CritterBoost being rubbed into their feet. Even having it completely absorbed into your hands, and having your parrot perch on your hands, will enable enough essential oil to cross over, and provide a health benefit! It couldn't be easier! For our Lovebird - Bella - I put about 2 drops of CritterBoost on my fingers, and massage them into her feet and ankles. I do this for our Chickens as well, but the chickens can certainly have approximately 5 drops massaged into each foot. Chickens are overall very hardy, and can be exposed to essential oils in many ways to maintain health and help prevent illness.

http://www.animaleo.info/critterboost.html

Back
Top Bottom