The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I also pound chicken breasts, they are so huge nowadays that there's almost no way to cook them without drying some of the meat out. I usually slice them against the grain into 3 thinner cutlets, then take the bottom of a heavy glass and pound them flat (paillard). season them with some salt, pepper, and a little Cajun seasoning, then sauteed them in a little olive oil until they brown up. Then you can do anything you want with them, sandwiches, salad, chicken salad, casseroles...

This has nothing to do with how they were cooked. We do this all the time with the same chicken. This is substandard chicken. He cuts them in small pieces and does the egg-and-flour dip and puts them in the oven on a cookie sheet to bake. Then we cost them in General Tao sauce we get at Big Lots, usually. It's never dry or rubbery, or hasn't been until this package. Makes me not want to have it anymore. I could get all my animal protein from eggs and dairy and I'd be just fine, wouldn't miss meat at all. May be the way we're headed.

Cyn, wish we could send our guy your way. He is good at his job, and a very good person to boot. He has a camera and now specializes on clearing roots from septic lines, saving people tons from having to run a whole new field. He can basically blast and clean. With all the trees around you, is it possible that you have a root problem? We had one, just outside the distribution box. Cleared the roots (well, actually in this instance, had to replace that portion because the root was huge and went straight through it) and no problem since. It's no wonder that sycamore that borders the driveway grew bigger than the others... it was sipping on some special fertilizer!!

You don't have water collecting in your field, do you? Or soggy ground?

Seems like my fencing may be on hold now. Darn it. I guess I need to sit that awhile, let some $$ built up in the account and just have someone fix the septic, maybe finish renovating that basement bathroom and get fencing later. We're surely not spending nearly as much lately on other things.

No water collecting. We're at the top of a hill and everything drains downward, Michelle. I'm not sure I want the last guy to do it. Last time was a semi-emergency so we didn't have a lot of time to shop around. I can ask around the Facebook yard sale sites and people always pop in with a ton of recommendations.

Did I mention on this thread, that the day before I went to Alabama, that one of the mutt hens hatched a chick? The entire flock is gaga over it.

The mama did not get mean. The rooster is so proud. All 11 hens are so mindful, and in awe of it, and daddy too. I put a couple small waterers, and a couple small feeders in the coop for it. The rest of the flock has buckets for water, and the big feeders. Nope, every freaking hen I have, is helping teach the chick to drink, and eat. The problem is, they're going through all it's water, and feed very quickly. I put out a bunch more waterers, and feeders. That has helped. At night, NOBODY is on the roost. The mother, is sleeping in the corner, chick underneath, and every single chicken in there, has them surrounded. NOTHING is going to get near that chick at night, nor is the chick going to get past them all, unnoticed.

When mama goes outside the coop, into the run, chick in tow, the rest pile out, single file, behind the chick. When mama goes back in, chick in tow, every single one of them, heads back into the coop, single file, right behind the chick. It's so rewarding to watch. Comical too.

Back
Top Bottom