"The FAIR" WHO HOO! We're done!

The comb and wattles are just a little too red. How long have they been that red? A little roo will start to have pink wattles and combs at about 4 weeks old while the girls will stay yellow until closer to laying time. My cochin girls are 17 weeks old right now and their combs have just started turning pinkish.

Do you have a closeup side pic of 'her' just standing there were we could see her tail and see if she is getting hackle and saddle feathers?

I am really pulling for girl for you, maybe she just matured much quicker than the rest.

Well, they've been that red since I put baby oil on them!
gig.gif

Her waddles were less red before--but still red-er than the other pullets. She didn't have an uber red face until she was about 10 weeks. Once again, she is 4 months old.

Here's some more pics from today, and I must say, I should bathe my chickens more often, because she and Dolly are SOOOOOOOOO Soft! I just wanted to sit there and pet, pet pet....oh--and the poop in the first picture, that really wasn't there last night. Goosies must've slept up there, guarding the chickens.
th.gif
Messy!

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

and her spur bumps:

IMG_1049.jpg

For comparison, my SLW girl "Fancy" of the same age:

IMG_1013.jpg

Maybe she's a hermaphrodite?
fl.gif

Here she is about a month ago (far left)--12 weeks or so

IMG_0745.jpg

Oh good! *phew*Honestly, I think Pharaoh is the best shot we've got, due to her "early development", her comb/wattle size (is it wattle or waddle?--waddle is when you're 9 months pregnant, right?) anyhow, she's got a nice deep breast and good lacing. As far as Dolly goes, she's still a little lean, more game-ish, personally I'd have rather put Reba in (no pic, but she's got better coloring)--but she's an automatic DQ because of her straight comb.
sad.png

The other two SLW (Fancy and Pug), I think, are too white in the breast--I think the judges are looking for an even lacing throughout.

The other two GLW (Reba--DQ, Wynonna)--Wynonna the Wyandotte! lol....just realized that. *cough* Wynonna has a sort of dried-up, blackish comb and a hawk-like look to her face. According to the Wyandotte standard of perfection, they are supposed to have a large and broad skull. Personally, I think all chickens have pretty narrow skulls, but I'm no expert.

So, hopefully we'll break an egg!!
gig.gif

I believe that what you are seeing on dolly's tail with the funky feathers might be a disqualification due to "squirrel tail", if it rests less than 120 deg from her body. There is a standard angle of carriage for the tail but I forget what it is for wyandottes. Your silkie should be fine. Her middle toe should have feathers down the middle but I can't tell from the pictures.This is just a fair so I bet you're going to do great with the birds. You have to post pictures of it all and tell us how you do!

i got really lucky when i entered my birds in the fair last year when the vet guy was checking them over he saw i had cut there wings and he said that it was an automatic DQ but my barred rock and white legghorn got 1st in there breed and my production red got 4th in the rhode island red class! maybe i just got lucky at the puyallup but you have some great birds and you will do great!

Oh my goodness! I can't believe how excited I am! Seriously: I just got off the phone with the poultry office to make sure that they got my entry, and I am shaking! We're taking the girls down in just a few minutes, so I'll be sure to post pictures and such. I have to stop by the feed store to pick up some more bowls for their cages and some cowboy magic ( I found that it's really good to moisturize brittle foot feathers)......

wee.gif
I can't believe it! We're going! (I'm never this nervous for horse shows!!!!!!!!!!)

So, here's a pciture of the girls at the fair, all cleaned up; more or less. The Wyandottes got a little saw-dusty on the way down, and it got stuck in their feathers, so I took a baby wipe to them, but then it got more sticky. *sigh* So they're kinda rumpled looking, but they're taking care of themselves, cleaning up the way chickens do best.

So, here are pictures. Tiberius the Silkie got blow dried this morning, and here she is--the only black silkie at the fair, stuck between to cockerels--the buff one started doing "the dance" the moment I stuck her in her cage--and she's half his size--half the size of all the other silkies too.
IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

Pharaoh:

In her cage
IMG_1057.jpg

In the line up with the other SLW, far right
IMG_1058.jpg

Dolly:
IMG_1060.jpg

Dolly's competition--WAAAAY bigger comb and wattles.
sad.png

IMG_1061.jpg

I'm going back on Friday before the judging to get them spruced up, so I'll take pictures of the rest of the competition then.

Oh--Silkiechicken--Tiberius does have feathers on her middle toe. I was a little worried about how brittle her foot feathers were, so I put some conditioner on her footsies.

Last edited:
I should also add--if any of y'all anywhere end up going to the Fair, DON'T FOLLOW THE SIGNS! I've been there several times in my lifespan, and know in the back of my head where it is, but no, I followed the signs today. The signs don't lead you to the fair. They lead away. Go AWAY from the signs, and you will be fine. Oy veh. Poor chickies. At least they had AC. It took us 2 hours to get there, and 30 minutes to get back.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom