The feed at the bottom of the bin

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Redfeathers, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    So, the dusty all smashed up feed that nobody seems to want is building up at the bottom of the bucket, I have a hanging galvanized chicken feeder, but once they peck around for a few days, there is the fine gritty stuff nobody wants to eat. Do you all just toss it or re add it to the top of the bucket. I tried dumping it into a pile and they ate a little bit of it but the rest just got smashed into the sand in the run and built up....[​IMG]

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I added water to mine and made like grits consistency. You would have thought it was a delecacy the way the birds chowed on it. [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I use it to sprinkle on top of yogurt, they love it.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I let the feeders go empty and they eat almost all the larger pieces of it up. Just dust I blow out every few days if it builds up. The pellets I get now are pretty solid compared to what I remember when I first started though so it doesn't really crumble.

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I add warm water and make a moist crumble sprinkled with oatmeal..

Yum Yum what a treat

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I dump it in the pen and they seem to scratch and eat it all up.

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i usually add water or sometiems just dump on ground for them to scratch up depending on my mood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by