The feedstore had turkeys!!! Now what?

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
Ok. We already have chickens, and we have been wanting turkeys and we finally saw some at the feedstore today... almost 2 years we have been waiting to get some!! They only had whilte broad brested turkeys, eventually I would really like to have some burbons. Anyway... We got 4 I am not really sure of their age or sex, They are nearly fully feathered though, and look the size of our chickens when we first put them out in the coup. So my guess is a few weeks old. I also guess that they are all hens but I am not posative on that. I currently have them in a big brooder, which gives me time to come up with a more permanant housing solution. I have chickenwire, cattle panels, tarp and, shipping pallets at my disposal to make the housing. Hopefully it could be a tractor, like we have for the chickens. But I do know how much indoor and outdoor space I need to have for the 4 turkey's as adults? Also, what size waterer would you think best? Our chicken flock fluctuates between 4 and 9 and has done well with a 3 galon waterer. Should I get a larger one for the 4 turkeys? How tall should roosts be for the turkeys? Although we have a tractor we prefer to let our chickens roam the yard some, will they be able to free range together eventually?

contrary to ever popular oppinion, I have Bronze Breasted turkeys in with my cornish X chickens. there has never been an issue.
I have them in a tractor that has a run of 6 by 8 foot.

every so often I let the turkeys out to forage the yard some, they know where home is and dont wonder off. they are very curious creatures, and like to check out whatever I might be doing when I am anywhere near them.
They have become my buddys, too bad I'm gonna eat them this winter

Thank you! Yes, we are planning to eat ours as well, by thanksgiving they will be a little over 20 weeks. Would that be an appropriate time to slaughter them?

also at what age did you introduce one to the other? Our chicken tractor is 36 sqft top and bottom, and its about 4 feet tall. It houses 9 chickens but we currently only have 4. I am not sure they would all fit once the turkeys were full grown, even if they did get along.

You do realize the Broad Breasted breeds are the Cornish Xs of the turkey world? Meaning they were not bred to live long lives, but to grow rapidly then be slaughtered at a young (tender) age before their skeletons and organs began to give out.

Some folks have kept them alive for years, but that's not the norm with them. I'd be thinking of how you are going to process them before they grow so large that you can't get one in your oven.

Thank you AT Hagen, Yes we do plan to eat them. I have already contacted our nearest processors whom I knew did not process turkeys, but they were able to get me in touch with one of the agricultural inspectors, who knows someone who might be willing to might be willing to process them for us. Worst case scinario we'll do them ourselves, as we have done with some of our chickens in the past, though we'll need to borrow my uncles crawfish boiling pot to do the scalding for feather removal I imagine.

My main concern right now though is getting them out of the brooder and into an area where they can grow and be safe. Would the chickens hurt them if I put them in there for now?

A.T. Hagan :

You do realize the Broad Breasted breeds are the Cornish Xs of the turkey world? Meaning they were not bred to live long lives, but to grow rapidly then be slaughtered at a young (tender) age before their skeletons and organs began to give out.

Some folks have kept them alive for years, but that's not the norm with them. I'd be thinking of how you are going to process them before they grow so large that you can't get one in your oven.

yup, I understand that, but mine are not Broad Bronze, just Bronze​

Back
Top Bottom