The FIGHT with DO (Dearest Other) to get chickens

gg706

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I have been in battle for over 2 years with my husband to get chickens. I finally resorted to posting on FB " Dear Husband I want chickens" .....OR ELSE!!! My friends had ALOT to say about that! Today he texted "guess what" I answered "chicken butt"......I think he is getting the clue as he decided to begin building the coop this weekend!!!! YAY! Anyone else had this battle. I am curious about other's stories or rants!

Last edited:
Congrats to you!
woot.gif
That's wonderful your DO has decided to let you get some chickens! I bet you are thrilled! Enjoy!!!

How exciting! I had the opposite problem. The husband spent about $2,000 dollar for our coop and pen for chickens that cost $65.00. Let me tell you when the coop was finished he wanted chickens in it immediately. He could not wait and wanted to buy every single chick at Tractor Supply. I had to keep him away from that place until Chick days were over.

For years and I mean years i told my hubby I wanted chickens. He used all the excuse he could come up with as to why we couldnt have chickens such as we live in the city. I check out city codes and printed them out showing him we could have chickens. Then 2 years ago on Mothers day he surprised me with a small coop and 2 chickens. Since then we have expanded to 3 coops 39 chickens and 5 ducks.Our coops are a constant work in progress as my hubby is carpentry challenged. The man can fix anything,tv's, cars, anything electric, just cant build anything with wood worth crap. But I love him anyway.My next project is we have been given a fifth wheel camper just have to find a way to get it here and that is going to be converted into a chicken coop so I can tear down one of the wooden coops that wont last too much longer. And we are going to raise some meaties and turkeys this year. For a man that didnt want chickens he is in love with our little silkie. He wants to bring her in the house and make her a house chicken and he would do it if we didnt have dogs that would enjoy a chicken dinner.

Last edited:
My story is really simple, When it seemed like the coop was going to be put off for a month or two, I told my husband that Mom was taking me to a feedstore in town that sells chickens and that she was getting me some for my birthday...Coop was finished that weekend. :)

How exciting! I had the opposite problem. The husband spent about $2,000 dollar for our coop and pen for chickens that cost $65.00. Let me tell you when the coop was finished he wanted chickens in it immediately. He could not wait and wanted to buy every single chick at Tractor Supply. I had to keep him away from that place until Chick days were over.

lau.gif

Hubby didn't want them. He thought it would be a huge failure because he and his dad had some at one point in their lives and something happened. Who knows what that something was, LOL. They probably got eaten by coyotes or their hunting dogs.
roll.png

He didn't really have a choice in the matter with me wanting chickens. I put my foot down and last year he ordered me a passel from McMurray. Then he went and got me two large, oak/wire chicken coops and hauled them to my livestock area, hehehe.

He fell in love with the bantam RIR hen we got and he like the little sebright roo, too. lol

Now we are thinking about expanding, LOL.

Ladies,just explain to him like this. There is not a more mean,tough,masculate,& MANLY animal on this earth as a Rooster. They are the perfect guy pet.Anyone that has a real rooster,knows what I mean. Chickens are just cool! Any size,shape or color.

My wife already knows I'm bat crap crazy about chickens. She knows I'd be worse if I didn't have them. She's actually hoping I can keep a rooster somehow.... (as long as it doesn't wake her up)

Back
Top Bottom