THE firewood thread

Pics
I believe the theory of more water was to hold it , a heat reserve of sorts ? I had one boiler that was about 250 gallons and unless the unit is so tightly insulated to keep all the heat in , it really makes no sense . They say you only take a few degrees out of the initial heated water and then it goes back ? not sure what that is in degrees , but I'm looking at a faster return , less water so that the wood is actually heating what is being used at present , not build up a volume of heat .Someone around here had one that he claimed heated over 2500 sq feet using a ten gallon boiler ? never saw it so ?? One other idea I had was two tanks side by side ,connected ,one the outgoing heated water , the other the incoming somewhat cooler water .....but I'm thinking that might not work ..........would be burning oak then to get it hot real quick .....lol.. Right now I run at about 86 to 90 degrees , and it's toasty warm

Last edited:
Heel low:

Got two new firewood chums flown in from Australia!

Emmylou

Lacy Jill

Their bite is worse than their bark...

Birch bark of course!
big_smile.png

Thought the only use we had for birch bark was as kindling...boy were we ever WRONG!

Birch bark is such a hot commodity here, it's worth fighting over!
lol.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

@CanuckBock Those pups are adorable! Enjoy them, they grow quick. You have your hands full with that pair.

So long as we NEVER run outta BARK...I think we shall be OK!
wink.png

I can see differences in them already and we have only had them since the fourth...can't be flown till minimum twelve weeks of age and there was six days dif between the girls.

How you others doing with your firewood hording? We have not added any or plan on adding any more this year as we have not yet touched the 21 walls of wood as of yet!:-D

Tara

Cute pups!!! Hey...that plank over a log piece...you guys use that for a Korean seesaw? My dad made us something like that once and said he saw kids using it in Korea during the war. Instead of sitting on it, we stood and with each up and down the person was flipped up in the air. Great fun!!! I'd kill myself if I had to do that now but we sure did have fun with it then.

Wood getting...she comes. Most of the wood shed is already full from bartering with the neighbor and part of a side storage is being filled with green pine for curing out...that side storage will be full by the end of this month from downed trees we had this winter and from my sister's place, where they cut her pines to clear the electric right of way. Then we'll have our firewood guy bring us some cured oak for loading up the porch and topping off the wood shed.

This year's wood getting won't be so hard as in previous years, though we are having trouble with our wood splitter and the neighbor broke our good Sotz monster maul. Will need to find someone to weld that head back on.

Cute pups!!! Hey...that plank over a log piece...you guys use that for a Korean seesaw? My dad made us something like that once and said he saw kids using it in Korea during the war. Instead of sitting on it, we stood and with each up and down the person was flipped up in the air. Great fun!!! I'd kill myself if I had to do that now but we sure did have fun with it then.

Yeh, made up a hillbilly puppy playground for the pups.
lau.gif

Em's on the splish pond (tractor trailer tire with rubber tub on top of rubber mat from pickup truck box<--warned yah...hillbilly totally!), dog agility tire jump...

Lacy is on another tire and tub with a purple kiddy pool over it (diggy sand pit-been too wet to uncover that yet!), balance beam (covered that one in blue and purple nail polish in the shape of puppy paws),

Three planks were off cuts from a bridge construction where Rick works...​

The teeter totter was just something natch to add, then the tuggy timber...picked up a tunnel from a kids toy store 14 years ago (last time we had puppy breath).

Hillbilly tuggy timber (dog toys attached by cord to bungy cords)...lots of uses for WOOD here, eh!
big_smile.png

Third full day here and Emmy (younger by a week than Lacy) has already mastered the teeter totter.
woot.gif

That indeed IS a teeter totter (seesaw). Plank of rough sawn and a birch firewood round (don't tell Rick, I stole some spikes and one piece of firewood, eh!).

The pups immediately got to stripping bark off the round...amongst other additional uses.

Plank doubles as an adjustable teething ring too...
lol.png

Yeh, beware to the firewood keepers...there are pilfering thieves about...ready to steal firewood rounds for teeter totter seesaws! Beware, and get splitting them rounds up ... quick like before they are all disappear!
tongue.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

I'm in firewood Nirvana this year. With the cooler nights, already burning some.

Been doing some concrete pouring for footings under pipelines all summer. Means dozens of solid Oak and Maple sakrete pallets piling up around the shop weekly. Got to take a full, 12 hour day, on the clock, loading, strapping down, delivering to my yard and processing pallets into firewood. Office was just happy to get rid of them and paid me for it as a reward for my hard work this season.

Hauled a 41' flatbed with over 200 of the **** things on it. About half way through processing them, about 1.5 cords tight stack (like lumber. already dry and piled inside so no airspaces needed) so far. All solid, virgin 4-skid Oak and hard maple. Amazing firewood. Wood stove and syrup boiler will be happy this winter. I've been putting aside some of the nicer grained pieces for some sort of project (don't know what yet). I've probably got enough to panel a room if I can find a planer to borrow.

Found the best way to process is to cut across the skids between the boards making ~14" pieces out of the skids. I then cut the boards off the skids with a carbide blade on my table saw. I've gone through a lot of pallets and have yet to dull a blade despite the concrete residue on them. Would have gone through a few saw chains If I was using only chainsaw to process.

Great score!!!
thumbsup.gif
I LOVE free firewood!

Our shed is nearly full...just lacking two short rows to be full out to the door, got a hoop shelter with some green pine curing out for next year and will be adding to that, and also have the porch full of oak. We are using the stove right now also....a few days and nights have been a tad chilly.

Porch full! My boys came out to the homestead for archery season, so I had a captive audience and many hands, so I put them to work getting the wood up on the porch. What a blessing THAT was!

Cutting firewood is basically a hobby for me i heat with free natural gas lol but once you start clearing the 42 acres and stack it you end up enjoying it too much...we have alot of campfires and i cook on the fire alot. I use a stihl310 that i bought for 100$ at an auction it is practically new..i drag all the logs to my 40footx15foot wide wood shed..it is half filed with wood..some is 3 years old..i plan on filling it most the way up in a few weeks lol i need to start selling but i just enjoy cutting and stacking it

Back
Top Bottom