The first day outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    They are nearly 6 weeks old. They were in a brooder in the house til a week ago today. Then locked in the coop. Yesterday about noonish they got outdoors for the first time! It was funny that they were SO tentative and mostly hung out near the door for a couple of hours, in and out in and out. Then they ventured along the outside coop wall but that was it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im so excited! But I too "chicken" to let them out without me home yet....so they will have to stay locked up while I am at church! WHOO HOOO

2. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Awesome inclosure!

Mine are getting their first day outside today.

3. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Beautiful inclosure [​IMG]

I don't blame you on being protective I am the same way!

4. shellyga

shellyga Songster

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I agree with the previous posters - that is an awesome enclosure. Your chicks are in heaven I am sure. Great pictures

Shelly

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Wow. Can I live in their enclosure? [​IMG]

6. blueseal

blueseal Songster

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    green grass . when will i see that. maybe when all this snow melts. LOL. nice pics.

7. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Oh thanks for the compliments! The run just got finished yesterday. It is 15 x 20 with regular chicken wire fencing, wire buried too. I made a grid of wire strands across the top with 24 inch square that I lay a bird net on top of to keep the hawks out. We cut down a dead oak tree we decided to leave in the run for them to climb around on and today Im going to make a sand box and a "chicken salad bar" as someone else coined it....just a 2 x 4 frame with wire on top to lay in the run so they can ruin the grass roots but can still have a snack of growing greens now and then. The coop will be sided this week with old fence wood to make it look like a wild west mercantile store.
    Here is a better shot of the set up. Again, thanks for the compliments. This is my first chicken adventure. This was taken before the fencing was completed yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: