The first day outside

Egg Rookie 2010

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
North Idaho
They are nearly 6 weeks old. They were in a brooder in the house til a week ago today. Then locked in the coop. Yesterday about noonish they got outdoors for the first time! It was funny that they were SO tentative and mostly hung out near the door for a couple of hours, in and out in and out. Then they ventured along the outside coop wall but that was it!
61151_march11_003.jpg

61151_march11_007.jpg

Im so excited! But I too "chicken" to let them out without me home yet....so they will have to stay locked up while I am at church! WHOO HOOO

I agree with the previous posters - that is an awesome enclosure. Your chicks are in heaven I am sure. Great pictures

Shelly

Oh thanks for the compliments! The run just got finished yesterday. It is 15 x 20 with regular chicken wire fencing, wire buried too. I made a grid of wire strands across the top with 24 inch square that I lay a bird net on top of to keep the hawks out. We cut down a dead oak tree we decided to leave in the run for them to climb around on and today Im going to make a sand box and a "chicken salad bar" as someone else coined it....just a 2 x 4 frame with wire on top to lay in the run so they can ruin the grass roots but can still have a snack of growing greens now and then. The coop will be sided this week with old fence wood to make it look like a wild west mercantile store.
Here is a better shot of the set up. Again, thanks for the compliments. This is my first chicken adventure. This was taken before the fencing was completed yesterday.
61151_march10_002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom