The fish tank thread.

that's so cool that you've done one...i've done a bit of research and it doesn't seem too hard. How cold does it get where you are? My only concern is keeping everyone out there in the winter...it gets below zero at times where i am. Do you know how deep it would have to be for him to hibernate?

Haha, bullfrogs are fun. I had 2 small ones in a 40g long tank for awhile, they were entertaining to watch...really fun to feed them flies that i caught around the house or in the barn :)

As i said before, If all goes smoothly and you don't encounter issues, its easy. Dig the hole, put in the liner, put in rocks/substrate, fill with water. Then the fun part comes, stocking with fish and plants! You don't even have to be that skilled with a shovel to dig one! The hardest part in my experience was getting the liner in, since obviously the liner is square and the pond is round, the liner isn't too easy to get in. Although it is only a small aspect. Where I get, it gets pretty cold, 10 degrees F is not uncommon here in NJ. To have a pond to hibernate in it would have to be a lot deeper than mine(2'), 4' MINIMUM.
I am planning on making a native pond this summer. An improved version of my pond. 4-5' deep, 2000 gallons, stocked with bass and maybe sunfish. Maybe a water feature too! It will be in a raised flower bed next to the pool. Im planning on doing an upscale native theme, not a fancy, manicured garden pond, but not a wild, murky pond.

As i said before, If all goes smoothly and you don't encounter issues, its easy. Dig the hole, put in the liner, put in rocks/substrate, fill with water. Then the fun part comes, stocking with fish and plants! You don't even have to be that skilled with a shovel to dig one! The hardest part in my experience was getting the liner in, since obviously the liner is square and the pond is round, the liner isn't too easy to get in. Although it is only a small aspect. Where I get, it gets pretty cold, 10 degrees F is not uncommon here in NJ. To have a pond to hibernate in it would have to be a lot deeper than mine(2'), 4' MINIMUM.
I am planning on making a native pond this summer. An improved version of my pond. 4-5' deep, 2000 gallons, stocked with bass and maybe sunfish. Maybe a water feature too! It will be in a raised flower bed next to the pool. Im planning on doing an upscale native theme, not a fancy, manicured garden pond, but not a wild, murky pond.
cool! I can see how the liner would be tough. haha, digging can actually be fun. :)
That new pond will be cool! Are you gonna fish in it?

cool! I can see how the liner would be tough. haha, digging can actually be fun. :)
That new pond will be cool! Are you gonna fish in it?

Another good idea for large ponds is to use a heavy duty tarp instead of a liner. They are lighter, easier, and MUCH cheaper. I plan on making the bottom of my pond something like this: https://www.storesonlinepro.com/files/2039883/uploaded/Bog constrcution 3.jpg
This way the large rocks form gaps that leaves and other unsightly debris can fall into. Instead of resting on a sand substrate, they get into those gaps and break down. Not only does this get rid of unsightly leaves and sticks, or other things that fall into the pond, it builds bacteria that naturally filters your pond. Luckily for me, the pond site where i am planning to dig has very few trees around it. Fishing would be fun, haha, but I'd probably hurt the ecosystem of the pond if i didn't release them back!

Another good idea for large ponds is to use a heavy duty tarp instead of a liner. They are lighter, easier, and MUCH cheaper. I plan on making the bottom of my pond something like this: https://www.storesonlinepro.com/files/2039883/uploaded/Bog constrcution 3.jpg
This way the large rocks form gaps that leaves and other unsightly debris can fall into. Instead of resting on a sand substrate, they get into those gaps and break down. Not only does this get rid of unsightly leaves and sticks, or other things that fall into the pond, it builds bacteria that naturally filters your pond. Luckily for me, the pond site where i am planning to dig has very few trees around it. Fishing would be fun, haha, but I'd probably hurt the ecosystem of the pond if i didn't release them back!
that looked really neat! I want to do something like that :)

yeah, most fish in a smaller pond would be a bit too small to make a good meal :)

My new betta and mystery snail.

that looked really neat! I want to do something like that :)

yeah, most fish in a smaller pond would be a bit too small to make a good meal :)

The thing about ponds is you just need to replicate the ecosystem of natural ponds. Then they won't need filtration or feeding.

no names yet, any suggestions?
i had red crowntail male named firepos, and a red female named cookie (my little sister's actually...she put hand sanitizer in the tank to "see what would happen" and i rescued it before it died). Those were the only red ones i had...i'm not the best at naming things. :)

when i bred mystery snails, i didn't name most of them, but right now i have a black one named golfball (cause that's how big he is) and a blue one named ao (blue in japanese). The first snail i had was named mystery (very unoriginal, i know
roll.png
)

Back
Top Bottom