1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

the flock and 6 months experiance

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BairleaFarm, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Ive learned everything i need to know for chickens in teh last 6 months. The dos and donts. the maybes and the what ifs. I feel good enough to make a little money off the birds. I know there is still a ton to learn and you can never know to much so this is what i did, what ive done, and what i hope to do.

CSA and hatching eggs is what i want to do. My goals are to maybe become a breeder at some point. Im to the point now im going to keep a couple spicific back yard birds.

My main flock will consist of Brahmas and wyandottes. I plan to have a rooster or 2 of each depending on how many hens ive got. This way the eggs will be a mix of the 2 breeds or brahmas or wyandottes. It will be a little surprise every time they hatch. The less breedable (coloring etc) and spare roosters will be used for the meet for my family and the CSA. I am also going to breed polish. Not a specific color. Ive got a Buff Roo a Blue Roo a Blue hen a buff hen and a silver laced hen. They will all be kept in a pen for the time being. This way I know ill get polish but the coloring will be a surprise. Im also going to keep an experimental group. In this case Frizzled cochins and silkies. I may try my hand at sizzles.

Ive also got two turkeys and am looking for a Tom. These will mainly be for eating. Im also looking for peafowl. These two will be just to have. If the other plans work out I may start selling there eggs as well.

I have several breeds or all sizes and colors over the last several months. Im in the process now of changing over the flock. Heres what they look like so far.

[​IMG]

Im in the process of building mobile coops and grow out pens. I want everything mobile. Currently to coop resides in the back part of my shop. I need my shop back.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Ive still got 10 or so hens i need to find home a home for.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Learned everything you need to know about chickens in 6 months. That's pretty impressive.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:I said everything I need to know (referring to my current plans) Not everything The was to know. But i do appreciate the SA answer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck and have fun... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by