The Flying Fortress Chicken Tractor

OK, a member has expressed some interest in this tractor, but after thinking about it, I believe we should try to dream up how to keep the shape and strength of this tractor, but reduce it's weight, cost, and simplify its construction.

I believe strongly in the functionality of this form factor, it's worth the trouble to streamline its design.

With that in mind, I think there should be three basic designs that strive for a different goal, but all sharing the goal of strength, efficient design that creates the lowest possible effort to care for the flock, and adherence to the best practices Dr Woods pioneered in open air and ventilation.

1. The Heavy Flying Fortress.
The tractor I've already built, for those who always seem to want to over build, regardless of the cost. A tractor to outlive us.

2. The Light Flying Fortress.
That's the tractor a normal person would build. It's very strong, isn't damaged by being pulled, but strives not to be over built. A simple, practical, and economical solution for a tractor.

3. The Grounded Flying Fortress.
Similar in goals to the Light Flying Fortress, but not a tractor at all, a stationary Fortress. This will be the least expensive of all, since all the bracing and strength of a structure being pulled every week, won't be necessary. The ease of construction, and adherence to Dr Woods goals, will however make it very useful to someone not interested in a tractor.

This doesn't offer the huge advantages of being a tractor, but most people don't have the land to use a tractor.

I figure a tractor could be used on as little as half an acre, if there aren't many obstructions, and still not cover the same ground more than once a year, with a weekly pull.

With all that in mind, I would be very interested in seeing a Light Flying Fortress built. I'm going to start a thread for the Light Flying Fortress, discussing what can be done to change the Heavy Flying Fortress, into a much easier Light Flying Fortress.

Back
Top Bottom