The forever asked gender question :)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by FlightsofFancy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Ok one more gender question! [​IMG] What do I have here? Thank you in advance for any help!

#1 should be a male and is 2 years old.
    [​IMG]

#2 and #3 should be hens about 1 year old
    [​IMG]

What a nice girl to stretch out and give us a good look! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    All are females. The first peahen might be split white because of the white feather and last peahen looks like it is split to something...

A two year old male should look something like this like this, sometimes with even more adult plumage but nothing less than this:
    [​IMG]

Some two year old peacocks will have a long train with lots of eye feathers and some will have a short train with one or just a few eye feathers like my boy Alto. Peahens have a green neck, peacocks have a blue neck.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    oh this may just be too funny! So you are saying I have 3 females? [​IMG]

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yes, but look on the bright side, when you get a peacock he will be very happy to have three girlfriends! Or maybe you could trade one of your peahens for a peacock.[​IMG]

5. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Well, I guess it's a very good problem to have. If I trade which two would you recommend I keep?

6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Hmm, it depends I am not sure if the middle one is split to something or not, another member would have to say what they think the third one is split to, I would guess #3 is split to peach but I am not sure...Then #1 is split to white probably...It depends on if you want split peahens which could be interesting...

I think #2 is pretty, I would definitely keep #3 and maybe #1 because of the white feather....It also depends on your favorite and even personality.

7. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    The first is definitely my favorite. I know the breeder (Pavo here on BYC) I think she has siblings that are white. The other two are from Danny, also here on BYC. I can not remember what their genetics are.
    We keep them as pets and they free range here on our farm. So I am not overly concerned about breeding, but would like to have a direction in mind in case they do. [​IMG]

8. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Where are you getting peach from on the third?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Just remember no hen can be spit to sex link colors....cameo, peach ,or purple....myself i would just get a peacock that will be at least 2 yr old by next spring, he can take care of 3 peahens.

10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:I wasn't for sure, but it reminded me of a bird I saw one time that someone said was split peach or cameo or something...And there was a picture one time I saw like that...So only the peacocks can be split to peach? I still like the third one.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by