The Frankenchicky Diaries (& Derpy)

thumbsup.gif

Sorry for the delay. The pet rat somehow managed to chew through the Internet cable last night.. Had to wait til noon today to pick up a new one from the cable company.

Little Frankenchicky passed away last night just after midnight. I saw her getting progressively weaker through the night, so I took her out and held her in my hand (your hand stays surprisingly warm and humid with a wee chicky in it) for a couple hours until she passed away. She went quietly and peacefully (no thrashing about, thank God - and so peacefully I had to try using a stethoscope on her tiny chest to check for a heartbeat) and was buried, in a box highly decorated with hearts, with the other dearly departed pets. If there's a Chicky-Heaven, I'm sure she's there now..with sight.
Here's one of the last pics I got of her just before I took her out to hold her, snuggling with her mouse.

As for Derpy, I believe the Poly-Vi-Sol is helping (thanks, Mandy!)! Or her body is getting stronger. I'd expected her to go downhill as well, but she's only been getting better since last night. I took her out of the walker, to give her little body a break from it, and checked on her later to find her standing! And walking (like a tipsy toddler, but still!)! Instead of toppling over backwards, she's learning to roll back onto her .."knees?".. to stabilize herself, if that makes sense, before standing back up and carrying on. Her head also isn't bobbing around as much as before and she looks like she can focus her sight on a certain point now (although she still has that "derpy" look to her sweet little face). I can also get a drop or two of the "Chicky-shake" down her before she starts the choking action (which doesn't seem as dramatic today, so hopefully that's going to sort itself out), so she may be getting some nutrition in her! She doesn't seem thin or frail like a starving chick, in fact, she's still pretty tubby!
:weee
Thank you for the well-wishes, everyone!
I'll still keep you updated on little Derpy's progress!

Last edited:
Derpy is precious! Good luck to her.

Sorry about Frankenchicky.
hugs.gif

Even when you know it's a probability, it still hurts. At least you know you did all you could. (And then some!)

I'm so sorry about sweet Frankenchicky...God bless you for giving her so much love and care during her short life.

Go Derpy! Praying for that cutie to keep on rolling!

AAHH shaybaby! Appreciate your dedication and devotion. Hope Derpy makes it, but it won't be because you didn't try. Not sure how a little blind chickie would have made it, but if it had a will too, it would have compensated. Just wasn't meant to be!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom