The Freeloader Chicken Finally Laid at 8 1/2 Months!

KerriChick

Songster
Aug 5, 2020
East Bay, CA
My super sweet and quiet Buff Brahma Flossie Nugget finally laid her first egg yesterday! I can tell she is going to be laying big ones, as her first pullet egg was the size of a regular egg. It felt like forever, but I knew last week when she squatted that the time was finally near. Hopefully she'll lay through the winter as Brahmas usually do, our winters here in N CA are pretty mild anywho. She is the most chill and sweetest chicken, she has always made being picked up a game and loves to run from you, but once you pick her up she just melts and trills at you sweetly, and never struggles to get down. We love her in all her junk-in-the-trunk glory.

Attachments

• IMG_6700.jpeg
    IMG_6700.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 8
my flock (see sig) is only providing 3-4 eggs a day at present - the ducks are freeloading having stopped for winter, and the SLW are still too young. Come Spring, we are going to be hard pressed to give them away fast enough - but a family of five on just four layers??? Guessing you aren't a two eggs over easy for breakfast sort of family. ;)

Very best on your flock for the future.

We eat a lot of cereal during the week lol
We can't really have more than four for our yard size. So they have to do the work! We are buying a house with a bit of land in the late spring/summer if we can find something that works(mother in law is joining us-this is a good thing lol) and then I am getting at least four more and maybe a rooster ;)

Awesome! I’m waiting for my close-to-9 months Columbian Wyandotte (who looks very similar to your Flossie) to start laying, as well! She squatted for the first time yesterday and did it again today so I’m hoping she will lay in the next week or two. She’s also our last of 4 birds to be laying and our family is also waiting impatiently to get her eggs in our inventory.

My super sweet and quiet Buff Brahma Flossie Nugget finally laid her first egg yesterday! I can tell she is going to be laying big ones, as her first pullet egg was the size of a regular egg. It felt like forever, but I knew last week when she squatted that the time was finally near. Hopefully she'll lay through the winter as Brahmas usually do, our winters here in N CA are pretty mild anywho. She is the most chill and sweetest chicken, she has always made being picked up a game and loves to run from you, but once you pick her up she just melts and trills at you sweetly, and never struggles to get down. We love her in all her junk-in-the-trunk glory.
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, but with my buff orp. same age, size, and egg color!

Back
Top Bottom