The Fricken Chicken story!

Pics
So the same as here then. Our hunters will usually take them down if they see one. It still doesn't make a dent in the population. They continue to grow in number.
That's the problem. When fur prices was fair, we had alot of people trapping. Not that it is down so low. It's not worth people's time to do it. So the last 10 yrs coyote have really populated our woods.

So.... let speak about these 3 silkie... I definitely heard sneezing 🤧 😪 😫 as of right now. They are inside a sun porch area of the vacant trailer next door. Its my grandparents property, so you guys know I'm not having my chickens squatting on someone else's empty house lol we planned on demolishing it. Just haven't did it. I do like the sun porch for a quarantine area though.

Anyways since I've heard them sneezing. Im going to throughly inspect them today. In the mean time. I take care of my flock first, tend to them last. Have hand sanitizer, and a spray bottle of bleach for my shoes on the way out. What on earth am I going to do if those 3 are sick. They are already here, on my property. Im doing best to quarantine. I have antibiotics, and what ever I need to help them. But is it worth the risk to my own flock. They are sweet, beautiful and a nice start to my future plans, of breeding silkies. Is there hope for the sneezing bunch? I'll report back after I go be a chicken tender, and do a better inspection.
First, if you don't know, I'm a microbiologist. Sadly they are already on your property and therefore so is whatever they have. You are doing thing right to keep them isolated and always do your flock first then the quarantined area.

They may very well be sick but you don't know that yet. I would want to know for sure before I did anything. Is there an avian vet you could take to? Are there any symptoms besides sneezing? Any discharge from the nose or eyes?

I personally would continue the quarantine and be very careful and deliberate to make certain there is no way anything could move back and forth while I tried to confirm if they were actually sick or maybe just responding to something in the new environment. It should become clear pretty quickly in the next day or so,.

My little seabright, I thought was going to be black and brown, is now brown tipped on black, fading into grey. I'm very curious, as to how it will look feathered in! It is hard to get good pictures, it's a typical seabright and doesn't hold still!View attachment 2342625
It has a super long tail too! My luck probably grow up to crow 😆
View attachment 2342626View attachment 2342627View attachment 2342628View attachment 2342629
View attachment 2342632View attachment 2342633
Your sebright looks to be a Pullet.

First, if you don't know, I'm a microbiologist. Sadly they are already on your property and therefore so is whatever they have. You are doing thing right to keep them isolated and always do your flock first then the quarantined area.

They may very well be sick but you don't know that yet. I would want to know for sure before I did anything. Is there an avian vet you could take to? Are there any symptoms besides sneezing? Any discharge from the nose or eyes?

I personally would continue the quarantine and be very careful and deliberate to make certain there is no way anything could move back and forth while I tried to confirm if they were actually sick or maybe just responding to something in the new environment. It should become clear pretty quickly in the next day or so,.
Made my rounds this morning. 2 of the 3 have snotty noses. So they definitely have a respiratory infection going on.. The breeder said she will take them back, and refund me. But like you said. They are here, the damaged is already done. So I told her this morning she needs to throughly inspect her flock. And treat them all for the sickness. She told me she has a guy coming from Cleveland for her remaining silkies. She is going to cancel the sale. THANKFULLY... she is nice. Has nice birds. I completely understand, sometimes animals get sick. When you have so many in close proximity, thing can get out of hand quickly. I've know her, pretty much my whole life. So I was very straight forward and honest with her, about her flock! I want to see her flock get better.

Since I got you here. What would be the best treatment for them? Discharge from the nose, cloudly in color. sneezing, could have some eye discharge, as the feathers around them was dirty.. but could be from the snotty noses. I didnt see any bubbles in the eyes, or swelling in the face.. Ive cleaned the nostril, best I could and wipe their face to clean them up some. Since they one young one doesn't seem 100% I started them on corid too. Figure it never hurts, plus we had bad year with coccidiosis this year. Their poops are sloppy. But could be from the respiratory infection too. Rather be safe, than sorry

I have some antibiotics on hand. Penicillin injectable, amoxicillin, clindamycin, and maybe another floating around if i dig deep enough. What would be best for the respiratory illness?

I go to the extreme, and change my clothes too. Im hoping I can contain this. And get these bitties healthy again. Without infecting the rest of my flock

Made my rounds this morning. 2 of the 3 have snotty noses. So they definitely have a respiratory infection going on.. The breeder said she will take them back, and refund me. But like you said. They are here, the damaged is already done. So I told her this morning she needs to throughly inspect her flock. And treat them all for the sickness. She told me she has a guy coming from Cleveland for her remaining silkies. She is going to cancel the sale. THANKFULLY... she is nice. Has nice birds. I completely understand, sometimes animals get sick. When you have so many in close proximity, thing can get out of hand quickly. I've know her, pretty much my whole life. So I was very straight forward and honest with her, about her flock! I want to see her flock get better.

Since I got you here. What would be the best treatment for them? Discharge from the nose, cloudly in color. sneezing, could have some eye discharge, as the feathers around them was dirty.. but could be from the snotty noses. I didnt see any bubbles in the eyes, or swelling in the face.. Ive cleaned the nostril, best I could and wipe their face to clean them up some. Since they one young one doesn't seem 100% I started them on corid too. Figure it never hurts, plus we had bad year with coccidiosis this year. Their poops are sloppy. But could be from the respiratory infection too. Rather be safe, than sorry

I have some antibiotics on hand. Penicillin injectable, amoxicillin, clindamycin, and maybe another floating around if i dig deep enough. What would be best for the respiratory illness?
I will message you.

Ok so! Baytril seems to be the "go to" for people with chickens being sick. Baytril requires a prescription, most people don't have. I was told about another broad spectrum antibiotic for birds, called Enrotex. It is the same active ingredient as baytril. But in a lower dosage. So for anyone dealing with a chook that needs antibiotics, I'll keep you posted how the Enrotex works. Thanks for the help everyone! Here is the link from chewy, because that is where I ordered it from. But I did notice alot of places was out of stock. Chewy does have it instock!

https://www.chewy.com/morning-bird-enrotex-broad-spectrum/dp/262622

As you look at this undiagnosed resipratory infection, there are really 4 poential bacteria which could be the causative agent:
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum
  • Chlamydophila psittaci
  • Ornithobecterium rhinotracheale
  • Avibacterium paragallinarum
Of those 4, Mycoplsma is the hardest to deal with. Because of way in which the bacteria is constructed, many antibiotics will not work against it. Additionally, even those antimicrobials which do work, do not eliminate the bacteria, they simply eliminate the symptoms. If they have Mycoplasma, they will always be carriers.

This means they will be able to share it within your flock if you mix them in with the others. Mycoplasma is not fatal when teated but it can lead to blindness if treated in a timely manner. My brtoher had a hen in his flock get Mycoplasma and until he figured out something was wrong she was blind in one eye. The infection returns about once a year right now but he knows how to treat and quickly isolates her. None of his other hens have ever exhibited symptoms but he has to assume that it isnow endemic in his flock and keep an eye one them all.

So how can you tell if this is Mycoplasma and not one of the other 3 bacteria? Typically you can tell by bubbling fluid in the eye.

I am stealing a photo from someone else on BYC. This was not Mycoplasma, it was simply something in the eye. But the bubbles will look like this. (thanks @Ribh ) This is why it is really important to note BOTH symptoms. You need both respiratory symptoms and bubbling.

Screenshot_20200922-122239_Chrome.jpg

Since you have quarantined them successfully to this point, if it looks to be Mycoplasma, you still have the option to decide whether to mix them with your flock or not. If it does not look to be Mycoplasma you will likely wipe out the issue with treatment and will not have much to worry about should you decide to mix them.

I just wanted to make you aware of what you may be dealing with so you can start thinking about this and watch their eyes for symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any questions. This was a lot.

Back
Top Bottom