1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I was outside with the chickens, when I saw my GSL Lily running around with something in her mouth. That's normal, but this something was BIG. And it had long legs. So I chased Lily around to pick her up and inspect her prey. Thinking I was going to steal her prize, Lily kept running away. Finally, I picked her up and she dropped what she was eating. It was a fat, green frog! I told my parents and they couldn't believe it. Then I tried to give it back to Lily, but she just walked away from it. Silly chicken. "I caught it, and now I don't want it." So I put it on the ground for one of my other chickens to get. Flutter snatched it up and grabbed it (Flutter is at the bottom the the mini pecking order, besides my 2 EE chicks who haven't joined the flock yet) and ran away with it. Poppy, the alpha, started chasing her. They ran all over the yard. Flutter darted every which way until she thought that she got away from Poppy. Then she started to eat the frog. But Poppy came up close and Flutter ran away with her prize again. I was cracking up the entire time! [​IMG] I have NEVER seen a frog in my yard!

I looked up the frog that was caught and I believe it was a Pacific Tree Frog.

Flutter
    [​IMG]

(Left to right) Lily, Gamma, Poppy
    [​IMG]

2. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    [​IMG]
    Oh my, I've never heard of a chicken catching a frog before but I've seen them chase them, mice too.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've been worried about the little tree frogs which return to and breed in my goldfish ponds each Spring. The frog chorus has been going strong each evening for the past 2 weeks. There are plenty of chickens to catch 'em, but I haven't seen any of that behavior - yet. I'm fond of those frogs. Ah well.

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Well I don't know if she killed the frog or just found it dead, but either way the frog was not alive when I looked at it.

5. FeatheredFeline

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Your chicken might be an intrepid hunter or a genius scavenger. But which ever a frog is a good find. I just hope my hens don't get it in they're head to go after the local bull frogs, some of them could eat a chicken!

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:That won't stop chickens. They'll make a meal for the entire flock out of one of those frogs! [​IMG]

7. FeatheredFeline

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Quote:That won't stop chickens. They'll make a meal for the entire flock out of one of those frogs! [​IMG]

That's another concern. I don't think frogs are very nutritious...[​IMG]

8. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California

That's another concern. I don't think frogs are very nutritious...[​IMG]

Mmm... Frog legs sprinkled with just a little hint or chicken poo [​IMG]

9. FeatheredFeline

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Quote:That's another concern. I don't think frogs are very nutritious...[​IMG]

Mmm... Frog legs sprinkled with just a little hint or chicken poo [​IMG]

Not a concept I need in my head [​IMG] But anyway, I'll working on keeping my hens from eating large frogs after I get them to stop chasing my mother's IG.[​IMG]

10. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I wonder if the frog got devoured or left somewhere to decompose... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by