The Front Porch Swing

Yes they lay a white egg, not as bright a white as the Leghorns.
We should have eggs in late fall, be glad to swap some or whatever.

Sorry about the coyote, we had one coyote attack. He got under a fence and took out all my silkies but 2 and about 15 other juveniles this was the week after the kid down the streets dog got loose and took out 2 light Brahma bantams at the policy and a gorgeous quad of SFH along with several other odds and end free rangers. Ugh.

We just got our GFF order we received.2 Bielefelder pullets, 5 Augsburgers, 8 Spitzhauben and 2 partridge Orpingtons! : )
wee.gif

OK now to pray the Orps are a pair worthy of breeding!
fl.gif
!
2 more Bielefelder pullets are for sure good.
THe rest just a bonus.

JEALOUS!!! Congratulations!
ya.gif

I'm so sorry your loosing your ladies!! We got a coyote warning for around us appears they are very bold this year. None around here yet but in watching.

I lost my buff orphington to internal laying she got a bacterial infection in her overlies. It was just after her second birthday...

We are going to move a fence tonight...tighten up our perimeter. and maybe move the coyote trap and put coyote bait back in it. I am tired of losing my nicest pullets and hens. why does the dang thing have to go after my females??? why cant he go after the plethora of young males that I don't need anyway???!!!???

the one we lost last night was this little d-uckle bantam that I absolutely loved. she would let me just walk right up to her and pick her up. I think that's the problem. the ones that are mostly tame are easier to sneak up on. I haven't lost a single flighty bird yet. maybe I need to invest in more flighty birds.

I have lost 3 dorking hens, a really nice rhodebar pullet that was also hand-tame, and now this little girl. only lost two young males. this is so pissing me off.

That's awful! I'm so sorry to hear about your losses!
sad.png

So I received a reply from Keith Gibbons of Keiths orps of the UK and he informed me that Partridge orps are still in the making and have "non-perfections" that will have to be culled over the generations. GFF Partridge orps tend to have some leg feathering. So, my new Partridge orp pair will certainly be a project for the next few years. Makes me feel much better since the pros are still culling imperfections.

I am so jealous. You don't know how jealous I am. I absolutely am in lust over partridge orps!!! but i guess if I had them then I would be so paranoid about this fox thing that I would keep them in my house in my bathtub and only leash walk them and my husband would divorce me.

That's awful! I'm so sorry to hear about your losses!
sad.png
thanks. I don't know if I feel better about it but I was talking with one of the guys here at work and he's lost all but 2 of his 50 chickens over the last month to raccoon and bobcat he thinks. sheesh. I would be a blubbering mess of weepy.

I am so jealous. You don't know how jealous I am. I absolutely am in lust over partridge orps!!! but i guess if I had them then I would be so paranoid about this fox thing that I would keep them in my house in my bathtub and only leash walk them and my husband would divorce me.
I have had a few that I have almost done that way. My first rare assortment from GFF stayed in the house till they were 3 weeks old- I decided it was getting a bit ridiculous when I would come home and they would be on my son, Daniels, trucks instead of their brooder.

Backyard hen egg and Eggland's Best egg

backyard yolk and EB yolk

cornbread fixings with lots of sage just picked from the garden

Sage Cornbread Muffins to go with a crockpot full of Mexican Chili and some rice

Back
Top Bottom