The Front Porch Swing

@perchie.girl
Yes, it definitely sounds like you need a pressure canner! I have both a water bath and pressure canner. Both were given to me by my mother-in-law, who got them from her mother. I have discovered that when canning quart jars, the pressure canner pot is taller than the water bath pot and works better.(I just use the lid from the water bath canner) I have canned vegetables, meats, and even chili in the pressure cooker. The water bath is for jams, jellies, apple and pear saucees, and tomatoes.

Last edited:
I want to can fish and meat and non acidic things....  But after reading some I find out that you can water bath can right in a pressure canner ...  just dont lock down the lid.

I am going to be 60 in three days and I have NEVER pressure canned.  I took a single class for water bath canning...  we did pickles.  So I know the process... I havent done more than that one day but it seems pretty simple

So I am thinking of just getting a small pressure canner for my first go round.

I want to make and can

Ghee (clarified butter has a very long shelf life and can be canned)
Bone broth
fish stock
chicken stock
beef stock
Connsomme

Pickled things

Beets
carrots
green beans
eggs
garlic
onions
Giardiniera  (pickled veggies for antipasto)
bread and butter pickles

I have had homemade canned tuna and it ruined me for the grocery store stuff...  I want to pressure can that...  The tuna I had was a gift and it was canned in oilive oil with little slivers of garlic and bits of dill....  Me wana do that.

But I also want to try canning chicken and beef...  With some herbs and olive oil.... somewhat like the canned tuna...  maybe sear it on the outside on the barbeque and then pack it and can it to cook the rest of the way...  give it some smokiness.

Oh and I also have some ideas for canning tamales.

deb

That tuna sounds delicious!

I have been putting off learning how to can but it looks like I'll need to learn this year because my little sister's surgery has left her with a slightly more limited diet. She is used to easy, processed foods and canned stews, so I need to learn how to can homemade beef stew for her. She can learn how to cook, I'm sure, but it would be a good idea to have some good canned for her when the school year starts up again.

Let me just finish all my other projects first, though! ;)

My birthday is coming up on the ninth...  and I am buying my own present... canning gear and supplies.

I want to learn how...  I was going to get both a water canner and a pressure canner...  but after reading a bit I found out a pressure canner can also be used as a water bath....  I am torn

deb

I usually use a large stock pot to water bath can my jam. Thepressure canner i have is to big for small batches. It'll probably work well for tomatoes but I didn't get to those last year. I was to pregnant to want to tackle that job so the chickens got them
1f60b.png

bruceha I think my family invented glass - it was always there . Okay this will set me back BUT, when I was 5 or 6 we still had milk bottles (glass) delivered to the front stoop every morning. I also remember a rag peddlers wagon pulled by a horse. And some independents peddled an ice cream cart around the neighborhood - selling cheaper than the Good Humor truck guy.

There seemed to be a corner small store every few blocks - I guess those were the foundation for 7-11 chains etc. I used to ride my bike there and could buy half a popsicle for 4 cents or a whole one(if I was rich) for 7 cents. My friend and I used to alternate paying the 4 or 7 cents. I don't think there was tax on it.

My wife and in-laws have some Mansfield Dairy glass bottles. Don't know when they switched to gable tops. And my in-laws got milk delivered not to their stoop but IN the refrigerator until about 10 years ago. Same guy had been doing it for decades and since he was still delivering to the hotel up the hill, he kept up the very personalized home delivery until he retired. My MIL would leave a list on the fridge and 99% of the time, he would have it in hand when the got out of the truck. He would see our car in the driveway when my kids were little and add 2 cartons of chocolate milk (gratis) to the delivery.

Ah, the services of yesteryear
big_smile.png

Well I did it.... I bought a sixteen quart Presto Canner at Walmart

and The Ball Blue book....

The Presto Canner says it can be used as waterbath as well as a pressure cooker... I have my doubts of using a canner as a pressure cooker but I will read up on it.

I got to thinking I have a Double boiler/steamer/stock pot which is stainless. I suspect I can waterbath can in that as long as I get proper inserts for it.

I didnt get the tools though. The funnel the jar lifter outer.... the magnet thingy and the bubble getter. I will though when its time to give it a go.

Lots of reading to do... book wise and online wise.

deb

Back
Top Bottom