The Front Porch Swing

First (or is this second since I already posted once this morning?) I want to share a new recipe that I found today. I found a new place to find recipes! Yes, I am excited!!!! I need to figure out how to subscribe to his blog. I did a quick search and didn't see it on the recipe page. I liked him on FB, but I am rarely on there these days.... I need to go shopping to pick up a few items before I can make this recipe. Time to go shopping! Oh wait, I am supposed to be working.... :/

Here are the photos of my poor dishwasher.

This is the panel that fell off. It is a cabinet door.

front of dishwasher. There are 4 holes foe the screws...
Back of panel. The big holes are for hinges of it was used as cabinet door. I'm not sure why there are double sets of holes for the 4 screws. I guess the not so handy DIY'er that installed it goofed on the first try.
hu.gif

The screws. They aren't stripped. The 'wood' is. They are a little rusty though due to leaking going on through them to the outside of the dishwasher... I'm really at a loss as to how to fully and properly fix this. I know I can glue the screws back in, or glue a dowel into the hole to make fresh wood for a new hole, but that doesn't solve the leaking which caused this to happen in the first place. Unless the loose screws caused to to leak....

No rain here. the storms missed us. Boy are they getting hit hard up by the Red River and in Sherman. Need to check in with a friend of mine up there....

First (or is this second since I already posted once this morning?) I want to share a new recipe that I found today. I found a new place to find recipes! Yes, I am excited!!!! I need to figure out how to subscribe to his blog. I did a quick search and didn't see it on the recipe page. I liked him on FB, but I am rarely on there these days.... I need to go shopping to pick up a few items before I can make this recipe. Time to go shopping! Oh wait, I am supposed to be working.... :/

Here are the photos of my poor dishwasher.

This is the panel that fell off. It is a cabinet door.

front of dishwasher. There are 4 holes foe the screws...
Back of panel. The big holes are for hinges of it was used as cabinet door. I'm not sure why there are double sets of holes for the 4 screws. I guess the not so handy DIY'er that installed it goofed on the first try.
hu.gif

The screws. They aren't stripped. The 'wood' is. They are a little rusty though due to leaking going on through them to the outside of the dishwasher... I'm really at a loss as to how to fully and properly fix this. I know I can glue the screws back in, or glue a dowel into the hole to make fresh wood for a new hole, but that doesn't solve the leaking which caused this to happen in the first place. Unless the loose screws caused to to leak....

No rain here. the storms missed us. Boy are they getting hit hard up by the Red River and in Sherman. Need to check in with a friend of mine up there....

A fix for stripped wood is to take matchsticks and wood glue and fill the stripped holes with that. Pack it in good. When it dries/sets/cures, re-screw. I'd maybe use fresh nails ... those look kinda rusty?

For the leak ... do(es) the seal(s) need to be cleaned or replaced? That is absolutely a service issue ... is there still a warranty?

I make garlic lemon caper chicken ALL the time. I've even made it with no oil. But instead of olives, I use tarragon. Oh My Yum! But I thought I invented it!

Last edited:
A fix for stripped wood is to take matchsticks and wood glue and fill the stripped holes with that. Pack it in good. When it dries/sets/cures, re-screw. I'd maybe use fresh nails ... those look kinda rusty?

For the leak ... do(es) the seal(s) need to be cleaned or replaced? That is absolutely a service issue ... is there still a warranty?

I make garlic lemon caper chicken ALL the time. I've even made it with no oil. But instead of olives, I use tarragon. Oh My Yum! But I thought I invented it!
No warranty. Previous owner's installed it when they bought this house in 2005 (?). I've been here a year and half.

I do have good news! Well sort of good news. My friend came over and looked at my dishwasher. It isn't leaking from where the screws were, it's the seal. I can still use the dishwasher! He recommended that I get a regular front instead of the cabinet front. The cabinet front is keeping the door from closing tightly, allowing it to leak. It still leaks, just not as bad.

I may need to get a new seal or even a new door though - previous owners put a dent in it, may be the cause of the leak. Neither of those are a priority fix since I can still use the dishwasher. :) I'll deal with this next month.

I'll have to try using tarragon. I finally bought some last year since so many of the Pioneer Woman's recipes called for it. I love it! It's so good for you too. :)

I'm geting hungry.... Off to find some lunch. Or a snack.

Good morning! I am feeling better today but my head still hurts and I am still coughing. I don't think I am going to die anymore so that is definitely improvement! Unfortunately the oldest daughter is home sick today. The little ones are still gunky and grumpy too.
I unplugged the light in the brooder coop yesterday when they were panting and I forgot to plug it back up last night. I don't think it bothered them any. They do seem to have a few more feathers in. I didn't plug it back up this morning either.

No warranty. Previous owner's installed it when they bought this house in 2005 (?). I've been here a year and half.

I do have good news! Well sort of good news. My friend came over and looked at my dishwasher. It isn't leaking from where the screws were, it's the seal. I can still use the dishwasher! He recommended that I get a regular front instead of the cabinet front. The cabinet front is keeping the door from closing tightly, allowing it to leak. It still leaks, just not as bad.

I may need to get a new seal or even a new door though - previous owners put a dent in it, may be the cause of the leak. Neither of those are a priority fix since I can still use the dishwasher. :) I'll deal with this next month.

I'll have to try using tarragon. I finally bought some last year since so many of the Pioneer Woman's recipes called for it. I love it! It's so good for you too. :)

Ugh. Them!
wink.png

I adore tarragon. I made a mushroom cream sauce for pasta last night. A rare treat as we rarely do pasta. I used LOTS of tarragon, and shallots, and two whole sticks of butter besides full-fat cream. And plenty of salt & pepper. And worcestershire sauce ... this would have been a wee bit better with white wine, probably, but I didn't have that. We will be dead by weekend.
thumbsup.gif

One of my goals is to be able to grow my own tarragon.

Glad to hear that it is not as bad as you thought. Can you put a towel down or something like that to absorb the water that leaks out....you don't your subflooring to be damaged.....that creates a big problem. If there is any residue from the dishwasher on the seal, you might want to clean it. If it has been leaking very long, residue on it could have accumulated at the area of the leak, affecting the seal and letting water leak out.

Good morning! I am feeling better today but my head still hurts and I am still coughing. I don't think I am going to die anymore so that is definitely improvement! Unfortunately the oldest daughter is home sick today. The little ones are still gunky and grumpy too.
I unplugged the light in the brooder coop yesterday when they were panting and I forgot to plug it back up last night. I don't think it bothered them any. They do seem to have a few more feathers in. I didn't plug it back up this morning either.

Glad you are feeling better. Love the ugly chicken phase. You can't help but love them!

Ugh. Them!
wink.png

I adore tarragon. I made a mushroom cream sauce for pasta last night. A rare treat as we rarely do pasta. I used LOTS of tarragon, and shallots, and two whole sticks of butter besides full-fat cream. And plenty of salt & pepper. And worcestershire sauce ... this would have been a wee bit better with white wine, probably, but I didn't have that. We will be dead by weekend.
thumbsup.gif

One of my goals is to be able to grow my own tarragon.
You said it! They should not be DIY'ers. I can follow their path of projects through the house and tell you where they started and where they finished. At least he improved. ;)

I felt my arteries harden as I read the ingredients list for your sauce. ;) :) I'll have to look up growing tarragon. I have sweet fennel in the yard this year. :)

Good Morning everyone,
This looks like such a fun porch to sit on. May I join?
I am from Wisconsin, about 1/2 hr from Green Bay. Just the idea of being able to sit on a front porch after this past winter makes me happy.
I am new to the whole backyard chicken community. Attempting to hatch my first batch of chicks now.
I am mom of 4 kids. 27,25.19, and 17. The 25 year old is my only daughter (becky) and she is married to a wonderful guy (weston). My oldest is Jake, followed by Luke(19) and Jeremiah(17).
I will be married for 30 years in Sept. Which is really odd seeing as I swear I'm not a day over 30 myself.
lau.gif

I am an RN. working in pediatric home care.
I have loads of seeds starting in my dinning room, and incubator of eggs warming in my living room and really bad spring fever. Looking forward to listening to all of your stories.

Back
Top Bottom