The Front Porch Swing

Ok found the manual on line.... (I can make the print larger and can do a find function though pdf) Wow towards the end it tells how to make bread and cake using the pressure cooker....

I have also never made bread...
th.gif
cake yes... but not bread.

It doesnt say what kind of containers I have to find that one out.

deb

I've been wanting to get into canning too. Definitely want to get a pressure canner. I've been looking at an 'All American'.. go big or go home, right?

My momma used to pour boiling jam into santized jars, put the lid on tight and flip them upside down. Let them sit for an hour or so and flip them back.. the lids would always seal that way. Never got sick eating that stuff. But there was a LOT of sugar in it, which would keep spoilage down too.

I've been wanting to get into canning too. Definitely want to get a pressure canner. I've been looking at an 'All American'.. go big or go home, right?

My momma used to pour boiling jam into santized jars, put the lid on tight and flip them upside down. Let them sit for an hour or so and flip them back.. the lids would always seal that way. Never got sick eating that stuff. But there was a LOT of sugar in it, which would keep spoilage down too.

Yeah I want an "All American" too... I have been reading up for some time now and I like their engineering big time. No ring seal to worry about as well. Its because they are metal to metal seals.... No ring to wear out or need to clean

Because of this the canner is very heavy much thicker wall... if I go All American its going onto its own burner at my house where It will have its own fill spigot and a way to drain the used water off without me lifting any more than the lid. So at that point I will be doing serious canning... by then I will be in a wheel chair... I hope not but I have to plan for it.

deb

Well I did it.... I bought a sixteen quart Presto Canner at Walmart

The Presto Canner says it can be used as waterbath as well as a pressure cooker... I have my doubts of using a canner as a pressure cooker but I will read up on it.

deb

Why WOULDN'T it work as a pressure cooker? It IS a pressure cooker, just a really BIG one that has a specific purpose. The only difference I can see by looking at the manual is this one lets you set a specific pressure (5, 10 or 15 PSI) where a regular pressure cooker has a single ~15 PSI. That and a normal person can pick up a regular pressure cooker
wink.png

I have never canned anything so I don't know when one uses the different PSI settings.

Quote:
PSI settings are for altitude... At high altitude you cant even boil water for coffee....

I have done some reading since I expressed doubts.... and Yes this particular one can be used as a pressure cooker... But I am not a fan of cooking anything in aluminum. As long as its anodized I have no issues but once that anodization is breached as in microscopic scratches... bets are off.

But while I was doing reading I found that you can set a pot inside and use that for your cooking container... as long as its sitting on the rack. You can even make bread in there....

http://www.mountsinai.org/patient-care/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/aluminum-toxicity

Up till recently people said it was ok to cook in an aluminum pot... just not anything with acid in it... Most aluminum cooking vessels these days are coated with a non stick or ceramic surface... Awesome.

pressure cookers are only anodized... Clear anodization is a very tough surface... but its only a few microns thick. Its basically a controlled type of corrosion.

deb

That is how most jam is sealed. The lids are in hot boiling water and the jam is hot when it goes into the jars. Can't remember what she called it. You don't need to flip the jars, they will seal. At least all mine did. If one didn't seal for my mom she just used that one first.

That is how most jam is sealed. The lids are in hot boiling water and the jam is hot when it goes into the jars. Can't remember what she called it. You don't need to flip the jars, they will seal. At least all mine did. If one didn't seal for my mom she just used that one first.
Yeah, the "flip 'n pop" method is what I grew up using for jams and jellies back in South Dakota. But up here water (and everything else) boils at a lower temperature so the water bath is a safer way to finish the process.

Back
Top Bottom