the girls are bored. Any Ideas?

roxyblue

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
pittsburgh, PA
Hey everybody!

Recently I have noticed the girls going into their coop during the day and STAYING there all day. The coop is small and only meant for egg laying and roosting. They have a 4 by 7 plastic-covered run to keep the

wind out and another plain run about twice the size. I sprinkle a little bit of scratch down on the ground every morning, have put blocks of hay for them to scratch around in, and throw in some luttuce or grass

for them to eat. They get to free range for a few hours every day but mostly sit underneath the bush. When I go out they always come out of the coop and run to me too see if I have treats. They are bright

eyed and bushy tailed, though I did find some lice on one a few days ago and they are all being treated for it now. Its been around 35 degrees dureing the day and 20ish at night, not to cold right?

Thanks guys!

-Roxy

cabbage, broccoli, large leaves of kale or collard greens, cauliflour, apples (I have to peel some of the skin off for mine to start), zuccini, cucumber, beet tops...hang any of them 4 to 6 " off the ground...but do it quickly or they'll climb on you to get to their treats.

I do most of the stuff already mentioned. I also like to plant some planters of quick growing grasses in the house and then move them out to the coop. They get decimated within an hour, but the girls love them and they are easy to replenish. Very cheap source of greens. Melons are favorite diversions, too.

Good luck.

Thanks guys!
I've heard of hanging things high enough that the girls have to jump to get it. I treid a bird bell a few weeks ago, not interested, they are so picky! I've not a clue why they prefer to stay in their house all day.....I would think they would be happier out side scratching around. Thanks for your suggestions!
-roxy

try hanging the broccoli at head height so that they bang into it, I also use sugar beet which is very natural for them and they peck at that for hours, but they have to learn to get into it first. They also love pecking at polystyrene, it makes a lovely noise for them.

Sandy
D.gif

mine don't do much if it is that cold and windy.
35 degrees during the day is cold-here anyway.they definately do not like the wind.

sounds like you are giving them treats and sorts.

good luck with them.

they might just need something warm i give my gals some warm cooked oatmeal with stratch and a little feed mix in like a moist mash when it cold. i do this in the eveing helps them keep warm thru the night . i also add some vitimans in it never hurt to give then a little extra during the colder months.

In addition to the above I also give mine a large scoop of BOSS thrown in the pinestraw and sand. They love digging around looking for them.

wow, I wish it were 20's at night here...we are hovering at 0...at least we are not at the -29* I had a few weeks ago...although the cold hasn't really hit us yet.

My girls are out in the windy subzero days....so cold isn't an issue for a chicken, unless it is REALLY windy and wet AND cold...mine have plenty of areas to forage and scratch, but
you could maybe add a few roosting areas, branches etc for them to jump on and explore, along with all the treat ideas.

Good luck...warmer weather is on the way!

Back
Top Bottom