The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
When we did a cold snap i thought i'd try some oatmeal, i put it out warm(not hot) but they never touched it.

so do i try again or is there something else that may appeal better?

I had exactly the same reaction! I thought, from the descriptions I've read, that they would gobble it up; instead they looked at me like I was crazy and went clucking about their business.

I had some leftover white rice from Chinese take out, and they loved that, though. I added a splash of water and heated it up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so til it was warm and reconstituted. They ate all of it.

I had exactly the same reaction! I thought, from the descriptions I've read, that they would gobble it up; instead they looked at me like I was crazy and went clucking about their business.
I had some leftover white rice from Chinese take out, and they loved that, though. I added a splash of water and heated it up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so til it was warm and reconstituted. They ate all of it.

LOL.. yeah mine thought it was their yogurt and crumble only to be horribly disappointed and seriously appear to be saying what and why is that here?
tongue.gif

Rice, i could make that i have some instant so wouldn't be hard... i thought most liked oatmeal, i guess mine missed the memo
hu.gif

Last edited:
I think if they've never eaten oatmeal, then they don't really recognize it as food.

You could always add some hot water to their normal food to make a sort of wet, mushy treat of their normal feed. I add water to my chicken's feed on a normal basis, personally, but not hot, because the feeder mill layer mash is powdery. Mixing it with water makes them not waste any.

I started with just making a warm mash of their regular grower feed. Then later on I added some raisins and some oatmeal. Now I mix all that up and add a little dollop of plain unsweetened yogurt to give them a little probiotics. Some mornings they seem excited, some they'd rather battle to try to get out and roam free....but by the end of the day they've usually eaten it all.

As chicks they went NUTS over moistened mash.....I'd put a little feed in my hand and pour some water on it and mix it around in my palm. They would eat every speck in a feeding frenzy. Now, they're unimpressed. If I put treats on top or pressed in they will get excited.....and then pick out the treats. My BR will rake her beak through looking for the raisins.

What can I say? I've created spoiled chickens.

I will make a small amount of oatmeal and then mix their regular food into it. It's still food they recognize and like but the oatmeal adds warmth.
Had not thought of that lol perhaps, i shall
My girls love cream of wheat. Oatmeal isn't a problem with them. They like it cooked and raw. Have you tried giving them uncooked oatmeal first?
I have not, i could.. what just toss it down? i throw them some BOSS and an organic grain mix each day for pecking and foraging purpose as they are penned.

Soak some pellets or crumbles in warm water, mix in oatmeal & some scratch or boss or better yet, both. They will learn to eat it eventually & they will expect warm breakfasts on cold mornings! My girls love to get a nice warm breakfast in their bellies on those cold days!

Back
Top Bottom