The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

So many great 'recipes'! I have recently started to make mash for them. Mine love it thick and gloppy. :p I use bread to make a mash, and they love that even better. To add some more flavor use the water left over from steaming vegetables. They go NUTS. I was making some mash for them this morning and i didn't have enough bread to use all the vegetable water- I made oatmeal with the rest...woo-we they went crazy! Mine love oatmeal and rice. Oh, have you ever tried giving chickens peanut butter? Not necessarily warm food but very hilarious!

Last edited:
I make mine warm pasta every morning...I bring in eggs to the girls at work and in return they bring in the pasta. I cook a large batch on monday morning and every morning I warm some up add some water and they love it!! It is the one thing that I have found they love and warms them up. Mine had no desire to try the oatmeal!

Wow, we just always used cracked corn to warm them up. On a real cold day (below 0C/32F) we give corn before they roost. Always seems to help keep 'em happy.
Pasta, huh?

When I give my girls their warm oatmeal, I add healing garlic and olive oil and I also add in a couple chopped hard boiled eggs, shells and all. They gobble it up quicker than anything. They didn't care for the plain oatmeal either, but when I add the rest, they can't get enough! Hope you try it. You might be surprised by the results.

My chickies love the pasta! When I make spaghetti for my family, I cook extra noodles and give it to my chickens. Just the spaghetti noodles - no sauce. Wow! They're crazy about it! It's funny to watch them run around slurping up the long noodles! They don't even bother with pecking the pieces smaller. I don't flavor it but I do use the whole wheat kind.

My girls love hot oatmeal too, but today I got creative and cooked them up a pan of whole wheat groats, ww couscous, quinoa, flax seed mixed with some warmed up garden leftovers.
They went crazy!
I feel good knowing how healthy that was for them.

I am very new to chickens and live in sunny Phoenix AZ, so not so cold.
Someone who lives up north told me they sprinkle some crushed red pepper
flakes for their chickens when the weather is cold. Sounded crazy to me since
I used it in my garden back east to keep the squirrels away. Has anyone heard
of this?

LOL If you didn't know what the topic of this thread was a person would think your all trying to flavor your chickens up for the soup pot.

A little dash of garlic, pepper flakes, stuff them with some quinoa and oatmeal ..and pop them in the oven
lau.gif

Love it.

Back
Top Bottom