The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I get them at the feed store in 25 lb bag. Fill your jar half full of seeds (shell on). Fill with water, to the brim. Screw lid on. Let soak overnight, 8 hours or so. Drain in the morning. I use a strainer over the top, or you can get cheese cloth and a rubber band. Then leave the jar tipped at a 45 degree angle (idk why). Rinse and drain every morning and evening. They will sprout within a day or two. When the sprouts get big enough I store them in the frig.

I should also mention when I first started feeding BOSS (dry) the girls looked at me like 'where are the treats?' I had to put them in a feed pan by themselves for them to start recognizing them as a treat.

Here's a pic of them sprouted in the jar..

Last edited:
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I get them at the feed store in 25 lb bag. Fill your jar half full of seeds (shell on). Fill with water, to the brim. Screw lid on. Let soak overnight, 8 hours or so. Drain in the morning. I use a strainer over the top, or you can get cheese cloth and a rubber band. Then leave the jar tipped at a 45 degree angle (idk why). Rinse and drain every morning and evening. They will sprout within a day or two. When the sprouts get big enough I store them in the frig.

I should also mention when I first started feeding BOSS (dry) the girls looked at me like 'where are the treats?' I had to put them in a feed pan by themselves for them to start recognizing them as a treat.
I'm going to have to try that!! I love growing things, so this should be fun! I have a huge garden space that I will be using this next spring/summer (24 foot by 14 foot raised bed), and I plan to plant some sunflowers (the ones that grow really big) and give the girls those as well. I swear, I'm becoming the neighborhood chicken lady!! I plan on making a new coop for them when the weather is nicer and then probably get a few more chickens! They are SO much fun!!

yuckyuck.gif
LOL! Took me some time to get the DH thing too! Dear Husband.. Same with BOSS.

Here's a pic of them sprouted in the jar..
OOOOOO thanks so much! I will definately being doing this...tomorrow. :D
Quote: I was pretty proud the first time I got them to grow, but it is really easy. And I'm the crazy chicken lady to my friends and co-workers too!
My Dad told his co-workers i am growing mealworms- They were sooooo grossed out!
lol.png

Ours like oatmeal. Thinned a little with milk or water, and just a little, mixed with their food. Also cream of wheat, and scrambled eggs. On cold nights for the evening feeding we give them cracked corn, for warmth overnight. And on cold mornings we give them slightly warm water. Lots of other things they like, but we use those foods most to warm them up.
smile.png

the cold weather is a bit late here in France, but this morning's gourmet menu for the girls includes some pork fat rendered down and mixed with their layers pellets (which they love) ...they also like the cooked bacon rind too and will fight the human diner for the contents of their breakfast plate

the cockerel just looks on, with a raised eyebrow (well, I think he does)

Hi,
Historically the very best seed to sprout for poultry is forage oats. See this BYC discussion, pages 24 thru 29:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425134/anybody-raise-sprouts-to-feed-the-chickens/230
for history, kind of oats to use, age of sprouts determines their use for poultry, and how-to sprout (in jars, same as BOSS).
Best Success,
Karen in western PA, USA
Thanks, I want to try sprouting other stuff, but BOSS is what I had on hand.. Will thy the forage oats next!

Back
Top Bottom