The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

My Girls love the Thanksgiving leftovers,I know it sounds weird but they love any kind of protein they can get and that includes turkey as of this morning.
wink.png

I just want to mention, dont forget left over SOUP.

You can easily microwave it in the morning and give it to them.

Mine are getting ..Chicken and Veg (all veg tho just chicken broth) with the left over dumpling warmed up in the morning.

I just want to mention, dont forget left over SOUP.

You can easily microwave it in the morning and give it to them.

Mine are getting ..Chicken and Veg (all veg tho just chicken broth) with the left over dumpling warmed up in the morning.

Speaking of soup with dumplings! My ladies went ga-ga over it and were diving into the dish so fast that they had it all over their faces, necks, heads and feet! They were hilarious to watch. I never knew a dumpling could disappear that fast! Oh, and my dumplings have parsley in them, if that makes a difference.

I think it's just over-salty foods.

Right... most broths are considered very salty, which is why I asked.

So... I googled several brands of broths and soups out there. Most broths out there seem to have about 800 mg or 1/5 teaspoon per cup of broth... Many Soups seem to have 650mg per 1/2 cup or nearly 2/5 teaspoon per cup. I suppose homemade broths might have less salt... but I know that I always have to add salt to my stocks and broths in what seems like outrageous quantities of salt... like 1/2 cup salt to 16 quarts or a little over 1/5 teaspoon per cup. The commercial versions of them are calibrated with general taste preferences in mind... So I dunno.

I found this comment in another thread...

AL, with 60 chickens, I'd be surprised if your left-overs would go very far.

This book Mineral Tolerance of Domestic Animals, gives 2% dietary salt as the "maximum tolerable level" for chickens and turkeys. You should note that this is a lower level than for cows and sheep.

In Nutrient Requirements of Poultry, none of their chick diets have as much as 1%.

With the adults eating say 110 grams of feed each day - 2 grams of salt would be only tolerable. Perhaps, 1/2 gram would be needed.

A teaspoon of salt is about 5 grams. It looks like that would be just about enuf to kill a hen. Maybe even a half of a teaspoon would be fatal.

On average, American adults are eating over 8 grams of salt a day but we are consuming that with about 2 pounds of food (still too much salt!). That's enuf food for 5 or 6 chickens. Two pounds of food is about 1,000 grams so our food is a little too salty for a chicken but IF WE'D JUST CUT DOWN on the salt - chicken and human should both be okay
wink.png

Steve

I suppose it could be safe if it's not a whole lot divided by a bunch of chickens... but after reading that, I don't know if I would risk it.

Last edited:
Quote:

I suppose it could be safe if it's not a whole lot divided by a bunch of chickens... but after reading that, I don't know if I would risk it.
I forgot about the broth! (probably because I normally don't eat) But very good point.

I found if I mix a lot of stuff together it all gets gobbled up, oatmeal included. The first time I gave them oatmeal, I added a mashed up frozen (thawed) banana, some lousy Kraft singles and a little applesauce. Yummmm!

Edit: the only thing that method didn't work on was cooked green beans....they're still laying on the ground, all dried up.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I have found the mixing it all up method works well here too lol, first it was scratch and grannola raisan bran, loved it. some thanksgiving left overs, loved it. then some of the scratch , oatmeal raisan bran, black oil ss and some peanut butter, huge hit. I gave them from celery, pshh never touched it.

Back
Top Bottom