The Great Big Homemade Chicken Feed Recipe Sharing Thread

@proud-armywife I was intrigued when you said you had to be careful with oats, as I had thought oats were gluten free, so I did some searches on the web. If you try that Gluten-free Chicken feed recipe, you may want to see if you can find "Gluten Free Oats". It sounds like you are really gluten intolerant, and regular oats MAY be contaminated with gluten from being processed in the same facilities as wheat, rye and barley. It would seem to me that the gluten would be in the dust. I am not sure where to find large quantities of "gluten Free" oats for mixing into feed, though.

I did find a non GMO supplier list for the entire United States. The link is in my last post for this thread. I wonder if she would be able to find what she needs through that?

I have celiac disease so oats are an issue they are cross contaminated in facilities and grown in fields with wheat which is also cross contamination. Some of us are sensetive to oats regardless of contamination... I am on the fence about this about myself. I love oats but I do usually end up with a not so great reaction. The airborne dust also makes some of us sick. There are some prepping sites that offer gluten free oats and that would work! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
From my searches, it sounds like most of the Celiac's that react to oats is just because of the contamination with wheat, BUT, there are some with the condition that do have issues with oats themselves. One of the sites stressed that the gluten from wheat will transfer to eggs and cause issues with the gluten sensitive. That site also warned about the soy issues, which can also transfer to the egg.
Hopefully, you will find a formula that will work for you.

Anyone raising meaties? Here's a broiler mix, used by the famous Joel Salatin.

Quote:
  • 52% corn ---
  • 29% roasted soybeans ---
  • 11% crimped oats ---
  • 3.5% Sea-Lac brand fish meal ---
  • 3% Fertrell Nutri-Balancer ---
  • 1% feed grade limestone ---
  • 0.5% kelp meal ---
  • 0.1% Fastrack probiotic ---

and here is his layer ration...
Quote:
  • 49.7% corn
  • 30.8% roasted soybeans
  • 10.9% oats
  • 5.0% feed grade limestone
  • 3.0% Fertrell Nutri-Balancer
  • 0.5% Thorvin brand kelp meal
Both recipes can be found here: http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Joel_Salatin__39__s_chicken_feed_recipes/

So now we have broiler and layer mixes, special gluten-free mixes... a total of 8-and-a-half recipes (I am considering the gluten free recipes as 1.5 since they are used together.)

Be sure to share if you use any of these recipes or are considering it! Also tell us if you find any recipes and share them here! Also what kind of recipes would you like to see? Starter, layer, broiler, grower, all-flock? Are there any ingredients you want to use or avoid in your chicken's feed?

I am looking for any non-chicken poultry recipes too... I know there used to be some quail feed recipes somewhere on this site!

From my searches, it sounds like most of the Celiac's that react to oats is just because of the contamination with wheat, BUT, there are some with the condition that do have issues with oats themselves.  One of the sites stressed that the gluten from wheat will transfer to eggs and cause issues with the gluten sensitive.  That site also warned about the soy issues, which can also transfer to the egg.  
Hopefully, you will find a formula that will work for you.

I would like to say how much I appreciate your research I had no idea this was the case! Thank you all for your help!

Chick Starter recipe (works for ducklings and goslings too):

I re-worded this one a bit so it wouldn't be confusing. The way the recipe is listed originally is a little different, I just made it clearer, I did not change anything.

As a bonus they also had a recipe for electrolytes, check it out by clicking the link.

Took me a while to find that one, hope you like it! It's hard finding recipes for chick starter!

This is my own personal Scratch Mix recipe. I wanted something that when fed, wouldn't drasticly lower my birds protein intake when given their evening scratch. I also wanted something that wasn't going to be powdery so the birds would clean it all up. (most commercial scratch mixes I tried always had a bunch of powder from the cracked corn they used in it and the girls tend to waist that).
I use parts rather than lbs because I don't mix it in large quantities.

18 parts Whole Oats
2 1/2 parts Whole Corn
1 1/2 parts Sunflower Seeds
1 part Wheat
1 part Field Peas
This works out to be about 12% protein which is ok for summer because my birds pasture area is seeded with white clover whiich runs about 25% protein to even it out some.

During the winter months when they can't have the fresh clover I change the recipe to:

18 parts Whole Oats
2 1/12 parts Whole Corn
2 1/2 parts Field peas
1 1/2 parts Sunflower Seeds
1 part Wheat

This boosts the protein level to just over 16% for the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom