The Great Big Homemade Chicken Feed Recipe Sharing Thread

That mix is for meat chickens and I use it for growing layers. I have a different mix for chickens that are laying. I replace the calcium with shells and decrease the soy meal to 22 lbs and increase the wheat to 20 lbs. I use Parsons table to figure my amounts. I don't use flax because I have to ship it in, not a local grain. The grower mix costs me 18 cents per lb. The laying mix cost me 16 cents per lb. All local grains here.

There are two soy-free layer recipes in this thread so far.

On page 1, post 1 there's a recipe called "Well-Fed Homestead's Corn-Free, Soy-free Layer"

On page 3, post 24 there's a recipe called "Crunchy Layer Feed"

Both recipes use lentils and/or peas. I believe that is probably what is used in place of soy.

Did that help?

Last edited:
Yea I looked it up too and mealworms and wheat, barley, and oats are a great alternative along with split or field peas.

I justs want a simple recipe that doesn't involve a ton of stuff. I did see one in this thread that interested me. I have a local milling company and a feed store and I'm going to try to make it there one of these days to see what they have. We do buy the milling company's brand but it's very powdery and I don't think it's giving the girls what they need so I don't know if I will just add to that feed or try making my own because that feed is pretty cheap.

There are two soy-free layer recipes in this thread so far.

On page 1, post 1 there's a recipe called "Well-Fed Homestead's Corn-Free, Soy-free Layer"

On page 3, post 24 there's a recipe called "Crunchy Layer Feed"

Both recipes use lentils and/or peas. I believe that is probably what is used in place of soy.

Did that help?

I know what you mean about simple recipes. I always try and find ones with the least ingredients because getting a ton of ingredients is a pain and expensive.

I want to learn more about fodder systems for chickens. The chickens get fed mainly grass sprouts with just a small amount of feed.

Look at this:

https://quartzridgeranch.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/our-fodder-room/

Seems like a little work to get started but big savings over time. These people feed their chickens mostly fodder with some scratch, oyster shell and mealworms- plus free-ranging/foraging. They're doing it on a fairly large scale because they have so many animals, but I think it could be adapted to a smaller set-up easily.

I am also looking into that as well but I found this http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html since it rich in omega 3 I don't have to add any of that to the feed and the weed purslane is very rich in O-3 as well and I had a ton of that in my veggie garden (which didn't do well this year :-/ ) so half was purslane and I threw most of it away before I knew what it was....

I know what you mean about simple recipes. I always try and find ones with the least ingredients because getting a ton of ingredients is a pain and expensive.

I want to learn more about fodder systems for chickens. The chickens get fed mainly grass sprouts with just a small amount of feed.

Look at this:

https://quartzridgeranch.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/our-fodder-room/

Seems like a little work to get started but big savings over time. These people feed their chickens mostly fodder with some scratch, oyster shell and mealworms- plus free-ranging/foraging. They're doing it on a fairly large scale because they have so many animals, but I think it could be adapted to a smaller set-up easily.

Here is one from the Elliot Homestead:

You will need:
– 12 cups organic, feeder oats (.34 cents/lb)
– 8 cups organic, soft white wheat (.38 cents/lb)
– 8 cups organic, hard red wheat (.26 cents/lb)
– 6 cups organic corn (.42 cents/lb)
– 4 cups organic lentils (.54 cents/lb)
– 4 cups organic split peas (.47 cents/lb)
– 2 cups organic flax seed (1.68/lb)
– 1 cup sesame seeds (2.27/lb)
– 3/4 cup kelp granules (3.25/lb)
– 2 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil, or molasses

The prices are from Azure from a few years ago
http://theelliotthomestead.com/2013/06/organic-homemade-chicken-feed/

Back
Top Bottom