The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Did they mail it and then charge you or did they return the one with the incorrect Post?

You may be able to make a deal with them that you put what post on it the computer says and if there is an overage they can put an envelope in your box with the total needed. Mine had done that before as well.

If the weight is the same and it is a standard box, in wondering what the trouble is, meaning why is there a difference? Have you asked the PO about it? When they tell you the price is wrong do they say anything else?
At my old post office, I would've brought in my scale and had her help me do one to see, but I'm not sure if my new PO would be so helpful.

Did they mail it and then charge you or did they return the one with the incorrect Post?

You may be able to make a deal with them that you put what post on it the computer says and if there is an overage they can put an envelope in your box with the total needed. Mine had done that before as well.

I haven't actually used the online service. I just put in the information to see what it would say, I didn't go through with it. I'm still trying to figure out why it was different.

That is interesting. I think that online it is a dollar cheaper for the standard price boxes, but I would probably try it and see if they say anything. I'm not so sure they even check them. My guess is that they bring them in through the back and put them in the out bin.

Has anyone tried to use Mail & Ship on the USPS website?

I put the actual details for an actual box of eggs I shipped, and it showed the postage to be $8.49. But at the post office, the shipping was $12.75. I don't get it.

I would like to use Mail & Ship if it works.
I use it all the time. If you do a lot of shipping, you will save enough to pay for a scale in short order. You can order free boxes online, too. You can use the flat rate boxes, but I like the 12x12x8 (O-BOX7). It has more room for padding because I double box and depending on how many eggs I send, it is usually less than flat rate.

I use it all the time. If you do a lot of shipping, you will save enough to pay for a scale in short order. You can order free boxes online, too. You can use the flat rate boxes, but I like the 12x12x8 (O-BOX7). It has more room for padding because I double box and depending on how many eggs I send, it is usually less than flat rate.

My scales are super accurate. They weigh out the same as the postal scale, I've been testing that out for the last few weeks.

I use the #4 and #7 boxes, and the medium and large flat rates.

Views of my packing & shipping station:

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to use Mail & Ship on the USPS website?

I put the actual details for an actual box of eggs I shipped, and it showed the postage to be $8.49. But at the post office, the shipping was $12.75. I don't get it.

I would like to use Mail & Ship if it works.

Ok, I went back and put the same info in trying to figure this out. I think maybe I was actually getting the right total?

Remember, it was $12.75 at the PO window. Online it was $8.49

I screenshotted the results at the USPS website. It shows a savings of $4.26. When you add the $4.26 to the $8.49 you get a total of $12.75, which is what the PO charged. Does this mean you get a discount by doing it online?

So if I complete the Mail & Ship online for a package, can I then arrange to have the mail carrier pick up the packages at the door?

Yes, you get a discount by doing it online and can arrange for a pick-up, too. I only arrange for Pick-up on non-egg packages because I am on a very rural route and don't want the eggs bounced around on the truck all day.

I guess the discount will be enough to help toward packaging materials.

But it almost makes me feel like I'm gypping people. I'll be quoting postage according to the zone and weight charts, and then when people get their package, they'll see postage is a lot less than what I quoted.

I understand that, but if it's within a couple bucks, I never care (as a receive of goods) because I do know that although boxes are free at times, packing materials are not and neither is the trip to the post office, or just the time it takes to wrap it all up. There is no point in doing it if it costs money.
If it is that big of deal to you, you can say the price is for shipping and handling. That would typically mean it covers the cost of postage and supplies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom