The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Ok. I learned a new trick.
Go to the usps website and order a free 10 pack of "regional box a" boxes delivered to your door.
You can cut a tiny bit off of these boxes to make it fit inside the medium flat rate box.
Double boxing for the $13.?? Priority box price.

Ok. I learned a new trick.
Go to the usps website and order a free 10 pack of "regional box a" boxes delivered to your door.
You can cut a tiny bit off of these boxes to make it fit inside the medium flat rate box.
Double boxing for the $13.?? Priority box price.

A large part of the reason for double boxing is shock absorption. To be effective, the inner box must have at least an inch, preferably 2, between the boxes to contain padding. The eggs are packed firmly in the inner box to keep them for knocking together and breaking. The inner box is packed somewhat loosely so it can move slightly with the big jolts during shipping and absorb the shocks. If the inner box is too close to the size of the outer box, that benefit of double boxing is lost.

A large part of the reason for double boxing is shock absorption. To be effective, the inner box must have at least an inch, preferably 2, between the boxes to contain padding. The eggs are packed firmly in the inner box to keep them for knocking together and breaking. The inner box is packed somewhat loosely so it can move slightly with the big jolts during shipping and absorb the shocks. If the inner box is too close to the size of the outer box, that benefit of double boxing is lost.
Its also the strength of the box

Double boxing even when tight will give you a stronger box. more impervious to injury

The regional box a will fit inside the medium flat rate box allowing 2 layers of big bubble wrap on each side.
I am not trying to re-write the shipping protocal. Just sharing.
U all can order regional box a boxes for free.
Eggs fit well.
The box fits well in the medium flat rate box with padding.
Not trying to start a war.

The regional box a will fit inside the medium flat rate box allowing 2 layers of big bubble wrap on each side.
I am not trying to re-write the shipping protocal. Just sharing.
U all can order regional box a boxes for free.
Eggs fit well.
The box fits well in the medium flat rate box with padding.
Not trying to start a war.
No war here
smile.png
Just saying a little room for the inner box to move with the bumps can help with shock absorption. While crushing does ruin some hatching eggs, I think many more are ruined by the hard bumps and drops along the way. I use loosely crumbled heavy paper between the boxes. It gives during a bump to lessen the shock to the inner box and then bounces back for more.

ETA - BTW, I use the 12x12x8 (#7) box that is free from USPS.com for my outer box. It leaves more room for padding than the medium flat rate box and is usually less expensive to ship.
wink.png

Last edited:
KYT: I have been lurking on these auction threads for a long while. I have alot of respect for you. I have never seen anyone not satisfied with eggs you shipped. You know your stuff.

QUESTION for you amazing peeps:
I just ordered my first shipped eggs; seramas. any recommendations on letting the settle? I have no idea what to do and want to get the best hatch rate I can get from these guys :)

Back
Top Bottom