The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
This is my second hatch...my hatch rate with my own flock is excellent but the shipped eggs are just not doing well. I set over 30 shipped eggs and only 2 hatched. Several were clesr at the beginning. I am going to eggtopsy today because alotlook like quitters. I set mostly BCM and olive eggers. I managed to get 2 OE. All of my faverolle/cochin cross that I set hatched (these were mine and these turned out so cute) Just aggravating. ..ive tried to get marans and nada. Im thinking that the third time around will be from someone closer but mot sure if thats the problem either...erg.

I hatched Bresse chicks this weekend. They were shipped about 50 miles by ground. They were not packed as well as Wisher packs them and one was broken in the center--actually leaking broken.

12 of 13 hatched!

Last edited:
Ron, Is the Hygrometer and the Thermometer on the Brinsea accurate? Can you shut the egg turner off seperately to let the eggs rest those first few days? I thought these might be questions others are interested in too so I posted them.

Dan

Ron, Is the Hygrometer and the Thermometer on the Brinsea accurate? Can you shut the egg turner off seperately to let the eggs rest those first few days? I thought these might be questions others are interested in too so I posted them.

Dan

The Temperature is accurate. I set mine for 99.6 and the Spot check thermometer said it was 99.3 at the egg level. The hygrometer was set at 40% and the hygrometer said 35%.

Both are fairly close.

Yes, the turner has a separate power plug so you can un plug it. I unplug mine when I want to candle and the turner is level. If I hatched in it, I would un plug the turner and set up for hatching.

The Temperature is accurate. I set mine for 99.6 and the Spot check thermometer said it was 99.3 at the egg level. The hygrometer was set at 40% and the hygrometer said 35%.

Both are fairly close.

Yes, the turner has a separate power plug so you can un plug it. I unplug mine when I want to candle and the turner is level. If I hatched in it, I would un plug the turner and set up for hatching.
Ok! Keeping my questions on the thread so all that search this can benefit. Is candling necessary or can you just put'em in and wait for 21 days or 22, or 23? :)

Dan

Ok! Keeping my questions on the thread so all that search this can benefit. Is candling necessary or can you just put'em in and wait for 21 days or 22, or 23? :)

Dan

You could, I would however recommend against it. The simple fact that certain things remain out of our control such as the egg getting infected by bacteria and this subsequently kills the embryo, or an egg was not fertile and bacteria infects the egg and blooms in the egg (humidity and temp are optimum for bacteria growth). the result of the bacteria within the egg is gas and the pressure could build within the egg to such an extend that it blow up or ruptures covering the other eggs in bacteria thus infecting them and possibly killing the other embryo's. This could result in loosing the entire clutch you set in the incubator.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom