The Green Dragon Roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaddBaggins, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    So, I started the coop and run today. Great day to be working outside, it was 75˚F and sunny. I made good progress for day one. This is for our chicks we just got a few days ago https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740783/look-who-arrived-today
    The run is 16'x8' and the coop is 4'x8'. I'm going to make 6 nesting boxes. The location is the south end of my yard. The wall will block a lot of sun and the roof I will put on most of it will block a lot as well until late afternoon. This is important since daytime summer temps can hit 110˚F frequently and there is usually a couple months of temps over 100˚F.

Here's a link to my build and I'll post a few. http://s421.beta.photobucket.com/user/MaddBaggins/library/The Green Dragon Roost

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That beer is one of mine. I've been a homebrewer since 97. I call this one The Sopwith Camel Flying Ace, 7.8%abv and very refreshing, especially after busting my hump all day.

1 person likes this.
  2. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Oh, so far I am $425 in on the whole thing. I'm guessing about 2-300 more to finish. [​IMG] It'll be worth it though.

3. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    I've seen a lot of pics of coops with food and water inside the coop. Is that necessary?

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    Very Nice!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

5. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    It depends on your local weather and is you have varmints around. Although chickens will attack and eat mice if they can get them. It's mostly in the coop to keep the rain out of the feed.

6. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
  7. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Ahh, ok. Varmits are not a concern and we don't get much rain, but when we do it's a lot all at once. I'll keep the feeders under roof in the run. Thanks.

8. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Congrats!! I live in Scottsdale, AZ. Make sure to keep any wild birds out of the coop and run...they carry mites, lice and worms...it's a good idea to worm your birds once a year starting at about 4 months of age...Valbazen 1/2 cc orally with syringe (jeffers vet supply) Check them every week around their vents and under wings for mites/lice once they start living outside. If they do get any, you can clean coop/run and use garden and poultry dust from feed store...or Adams flea and tick spray for dogs and cats...treat mainly their vents/underwing areas.
    Enjoy & good luck!

10. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Made some progress on the Green Dragon today. Not a lot though, we lost one of the chicks this morning. It was slow going for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by