The Grey Lady is 'not herself'...what's wrong?

Gosh, Frack and Grey Lady look very much alike ( and clearly have the same strategy for being spoilt)!

Don't they just love the extra treats, stroking, sympathising and general attention? So much so that I swear that our girl has put on about a pound in the last week (she was a bit underweight after being broody). Grey Lady always used to wander for miles by herself during the day. However she is currently staying right by the doorstep begging for treats until the evening when she flies straight into the house and perches up on her favourite pair of boots.

Apart from the poops everywhere, can't think of a better house pet! I love the Brahma temperament and size, a real armful when you pick them up!

Sandie

Well, I'm playing connect the dot here, especially after Sjisty's input. How sure are you that grey lady was attacked by a fox?? Is it possible she received the wounds from roosters??? I'm just looking at what you said...everytime she tries to come out, a bunch of roosters want to gang up on her, and she rushes back to safety. I'm not sure how many roosters you have, but a "gang rape" situation can certainly injure a hen. My EE hated my rooster, and of course (almost as if knowing this...lol), he would seek her out MUCH more often than the others. She took to staying inside the coop as much as possible, or running to me and flying up to my arm or shoulder if he even looked at her cross-eyed (and she had never done that before). So is that possible, that your roos hurt her, and she's avoiding them???

Quote:
Good point, a fox probably would have killed her. One of the cuts to Frack's sides went all the way to the bone with the flesh just hanging like a pocket. She would start clucking very loudly whenever that particular rooster came toward her and either run to me or to our alpha roo. After she healed, she refused to go into the yard where the chickens were, preferring to stay in the front yard alone or sometimes with her sister (Frick). The day after the devil roo (named Angel) left, she rejoined the flock.

Maybe teach1 is right, Sandie, and that's the reason she stays by herself.

Hmmmmmm, worth thinking about as all the hens have pretty bald backs at the moment, but Grey Lady just had one side of her body with a couple of holes.

I currently have 3 roosters. The boys don't have spurs but do have claws, of course. However,whereas this particular girl has previously always been more than capable of handling the boys she DOES seem particularly attractive to them at the moment.

I opened the chick pen for her to come out today, but she stayed there for over an hour before venturing out. She was chased by the roosters again, so I opened the door for her. Since then I have let her go into small orchard area to be with 3 lambs. She seems to prefer this and the boys really cannot fly over the fence to her as they are barely able to fly anyway and currently are a bit fat!

She's ha a lot more cuddling and stroking since and it looks like it will be the boots again tonight!

Sandie

If she were mine, I would lock up the boys for a day and see how she acts with the remainder of the flock. She may be traumatized from being bullied or over mated.

There is a Bach Flower Remedy called Rescue Remedy that is helpful for mental anxiety and stress. A lot of people give it to animals. You could check it out on the internet. It is usally available at most health food stores and some regular stores with a natural health section. I agree that it might have been the roos. Good luck with her!

Thanks for the replies.

Grey Lady continues to seek company of us or the dog. Last night we penned her with another Brahma hen and she was fine with that. Today she is back in the chick pen well away from the boys and seems very happy with this. I agree it's best to keep her away from them! (Even if it were not they that caused her first injury they are far too big and enthusiastic for her).

I will look into getting some Rescue Remedy for her, too.

It looks like rehab. is going to be a bit slow,

Sandie

Maybe chicken saddles/hen aprons would help?
idunno.gif
I know a saddle really helped one hen of mine that had been very afraid to hang out with the flock.

Last edited:
I think her physical health is just fine. I wouldn't worry about her. Unless you want fertile eggs with her, there is no reason for her to be near roos and get abused. Obviously she is just fine without their attention. She's NO dumb cluck!! Maybe you could get her chicken diapers and let her spend some time in the house only because she sounds like quite a good housepet. Your dog must be very good natured. The fact that she seeks him out shows he certainly didn't maim her.

Thanks again for the replies.

She continues to seek out human and dog company.The dog allows the chickens to steal his bed and threatens the crows if they come too close.....he has spent all his life with other animals and is regularly left for long periods with them. Hens who have failed to come back to the coop at night usually spend their night sleeping with him (it looks soooooo funny with a dog curled round a hen).

I will try a hen saddle when I can get one and allow very slow re-integration with the others if she wants.
Otherwise it's a house Brahma!

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom