The Hatch That BYC Built (aka Frieda vs. the Brinsea!) (Warning--pic heavy)

AmyPaperlady

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Cumberland Plateau
When I first got chickens, here in my not-zoned-for-roosters neighborhood, I was only going to get fully-feathered pullets when I needed to add to my flock. I didn't want to deal with a heat lamp outside, and I certainly wasn't going to ever brood indoors. If I happened to get a broody hen, I'd get her eggs, but I most certainly was not going to ever incubate eggs myself.

Quiet at the back, there
tongue2.gif

Fast forward two years... I do, indeed, have a reliable broody in my flock. Frieda went broody for the first time early last fall. I was able to get 4 barnyard mix eggs from a local, nonBYC friend, one of which got broken during a nest box tussle (no longer an issue--no one messes with Frieda when she's broody, even if she's in "the best" nest box). The other three hatched out nice and healthy. They also all hatched out cockerels, as it turned out. Frieda mothered them for 12 weeks. I don't know how long she would've continued to mother them--it was getting close to Christmas, we were going to be out of town for a week and a half, and I didn't want the animal sitters to have to deal with it if the boys started crowing, so I sold them to the feedstore. Frieda went broody again in February. It took about a month to get her eggs this time, because I'd arranged in advance for some eggs for when she went broody again, and the hens in question decided to take a break right when we needed the eggs. The eggs did finally arrive, well packed, but the box was jammed sideways into my mailbox. This last straw detached over half of the air cells, and the rest were loose, as well as a couple of eggs being broken. This experience taught me to have eggs delivered to our PO box instead, to at least spare that last part of the trip. By the time Frieda had been sitting for 5 weeks, she was done. Unfortunately, the eggs were only on day 10 or 11... By the time I managed to borrow an incubator, get it stabilized, and get the eggs in, the eggs had been cold for over 40 hours. I recalculated the hatch date by adding 2 days to the end, and hoped for the best. 3 days after the recalculated hatch date, I water candled, and nada. Since my daughters (OK, and myself) were rather disappointed, I picked up some chicks at the feedstore, since I now knew about heating pad brooders. I had thought ahead and gotten red sex links and barred rocks, 2 of each, to sell once they were fully feathered (and yes, I did sell them). They spent a couple of weeks in a bin in the house, then they and the heating pad were moved out to a pen inside the coop. This was in April. Having peeping chicks in the coop must've triggered hormone production, because a couple weeks later, Frieda was sleeping in the nest box again. This time, I ordered some eggs from eBay after trying to find eggs of something I wanted locally. These eggs also ended up not hatching. Frieda stuck with this clutch, though, so I got her some EE chicks at the feedstore the day they arrived. This was July 11, my older daughter's birthday (getting chicks is a great thing to add to the list of "stuff to do to keep the guest of honor for a surprise party busy", just FYI
wink.png
) Frieda decided she was done with those pullets at about 7 or 8 weeks, and started laying (when she's not broody, she gives me 5-6 eggs a week). She went broody again last week...

Now, in and amongst all that, starting with the abandoned clutch, I started following some threads here in the incubating forum, and have made some friends there. One had found a group of incubators on CL, and was only going to be keeping one of them, so I bought a Brinsea Octagon 10 from her (not a typo--the Octagon 10 is discontinued now). Walnut sent it to me, and it arrived safely. Meanwhile, a half-joking comment led to Ravyn and I agreeing to swap eggs for home canned goods the next time Frieda went broody--I was going to incubate the eggs and then pass the chicks to Frieda, to get around the fact that hens just won't not turn shipped eggs for a few days. While we were waiting, I finally got around to ordering a hygrometer off of Amazon, along with some books. Since there was no hurry, I did the good, old-fashioned, slow, order-$35-worth-of-qualified-things-and-get-free-shipping deal--my daughter had gotten a $20 Amazon gift card, so I justified the hygrometer as part of the necessary purchases to bring the total up to free shipping
wink.png
The day after I placed the order is when Frieda went broody
roll.png
So now we were waiting on slow shipping to arrive before the eggs were sent. Everything got here on the very last day of the shipping estimate, of course.

Yesterday, finally, the eggs arrived! Enough eggs for both the incubator and Frieda (the rest of this post is copied from my posts in the "She said/he said" thread and the "Chickens in ya window" thread, so feel free to ignore if you've seen them already--new pics and commentary will be in my next post).

Now for unpacking pics...

One corner got banged a bit, but you'd never know it from the inside. The egg from that corner had a wobbly aircell, but that's the extent of the damage. The other couple of loose aircells may have been near it--I only took note of the one exactly in the corner.

Nice and tightly packed, big end up and marked with date and breed (though if I can't tell Marans and Sulmtaler eggs apart...
wink.png
)

2 strips of bubble wrap at 90 degrees from each other. I untaped the first one, then realized that I could carefully slide the eggs out, which was much easier, with less chance of the egg taking a fast half foot trip...

Layer of shavings and bubble wrap on the bottom as well as the top.

Reinforced single box.

Eggs for the incubator and for Frieda! I'll divide them tomorrow after the post-rest candle. Maybe I'll even be able to see the aircells in the ones Ravyn gathered last
lol.png

Last edited:
Darn phone! Anyway...

Empty tray. Going to be interesting raising humidity for lock down.

Fit 11 eggs into the Octagon 10. I'll be rotating the eggs 90 degrees each day as well as turning the incubator, probably. I can use Ravyn's markings to help keep track. If I change my mind about rotating, at least everything is facing the same way.

These are the eggs I gave to Frieda. Since she won't not turn them, I tried to give her the eggs with the most solid aircells.

I've given her 8 before, and thought maybe 9 was too many...

Nope!

The full Brinsea.

Eggs were set Sunday, October 18 at 3pm. Day 18 will be Thursday, November 5. Hatch date should be Sunday, November 8.

Day 7--candling! The aircells looked good (didn't end up tracing them, just because I didn't have enough hands) and it looks as though all but one of the Sulmtaler eggs in the Brinsea are developing. I saw movement! I might have seen development in some of the BCM eggs, as well--a bit hard to see, and no way would pics work.

I do have pics of the Sulmtaler eggs, though!

The last one I'm pretty sure is a clear, but I'm leaving it in. Only one of the BCM eggs glows like that.

In 3 days, on day 10, I'll check the eggs under Frieda. She's still sitting, but I know she's getting up each day to eat and such, 'cause there's a new ginormous broody poo each day...

I am in Bandon (about 2 hours north of Crescent City). I have Halloween chicks if that's not to old for you. They are Orps and orp mixs. You can have as many as you want for free. They are nothing special but they are healthy. Let me know if I can help. Maybe I could even drive them half way?

I got a box of eggs in the mail today
celebrate.gif
Of course, they should've been here Saturday, but at least it wasn't a box of chicks...

This go 'round, Frieda's not participating, just the Brinsea. Since the last time, I've gotten an Incutherm Plus. I'm pretty sure my ZooMed hygrometer got cracked after I did the salt test, so it was likely not reading accurately--and even if it hadn't, I couldn't tell the humidity once the first chick hatched, because he kept flipping it over and/or sitting on it!

I ran the Brinsea for a few days this past week, to see what my humidity was dry, with one well filled, with both, and to see how to get humidity up for lockdown (at least 24 hours between each change). I then cleaned everything with a freshly-bought bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

Anyway, packaging and egg pics!

Box looks good--the upper and lower left corners were the most damaged looking. And @RavynFallen double boxes anyway.

Oh, dear, I see yolk in the shavings...

First casualty...

Didn't bother unwrapping these two--too skinny to have an intact egg in 'em...

The majority of the damaged eggs were from the center of the box
idunno.gif

Ten intact eggs (the two by themselves had some yolk on them--wiped them off with a paper towel dampened with hydrogen peroxide and wrote "Dirty" on them).

The egg with the crack on the bottom and the one with the side window--decided not to try to seal and set them, after all.

Full egg tray!

With probe. Note the high-tech twist tie
wink.png

Resting and waiting to be plugged in tonight, 12 or so hours after opening the box.

I couldn't actually see aircells in any of the Marans eggs... Of the Sulmtaler eggs, one had a broken and fully detached aircell (written on the egg--'twas also one of the dirty ones, so that one has quite a bit of writing on it, even before I (maybe) trace aircells), and the others aren't solid, but aren't too loose. The aircells I could see were all smaller than a dime, but larger than half a dime.

What's the bedding Frieda's on? Looks like shredded newspaper.

I saw a post on another thread this evening where someone said they put 2 dozen under their hen, so Frieda should be able to handle her 9 just fine.

Last edited:
You know I gotta follow this... :D

Funny, you said 18 is all that would fit but I sent 20 in case of breakage... none break but you STILL manage to make all 20 fit... :gig

Last edited:
I wish I had a broody to do a comparison with also. Your thread is going to be exciting and FUN! You should do one of the polls and see who is for Freida and who is for the Brinsea
smile.png
but I think we'd all be pulling for Frieda. GO GIRL!
lol.png

I have no clue how to do polls
gig.gif

Well, not exactly anything interesting to report, yet. Heck, not even much to check yet! Temp's perfect in the Brinsea, and the humidity with it dry is about 42%. Frieda's on the eggs. I don't see that changing over the next 3 weeks...

I'll start turning my eggs after work on Thursday, which will be day 4. I'm planning on candling the Brinsea eggs on days 7, 14, and 18. My best candler is my phone, which is also my camera, though I'll also try my second best, which is a little 300 lumen Cree flashlight, so I can at least get pics of the Sulmtaler eggs. I'll be marking aircells, so I can certainly get pictures of those, even if I can't get good pics of veins and such. I'll candle Frieda's eggs on day 10, to pull definite clears (so I'm guessing all the BCM will be staying...)

Here's the Sulmtaler chicks...

Girl on right, boy on left...

Now girl on left, boy on right... take note of the lighter feathers on her chest, the boys will get black feathers on their chests while girls all have same light ones on theirs...

Back
Top Bottom