The Hatch That BYC Built (aka Frieda vs. the Brinsea!) (Warning--pic heavy)

May as well - Isn't it better to have two sets going instead of one??
gig.gif

I just realized another BYC link to any hatches I may have--I got Frieda from a BYCer!

Anyway, pics of the not-so-little ones, taken less than 10 minutes ago, so pretty darn recent ;)

Last edited:
I got a box of eggs in the mail today
celebrate.gif
Of course, they should've been here Saturday, but at least it wasn't a box of chicks...

This go 'round, Frieda's not participating, just the Brinsea. Since the last time, I've gotten an Incutherm Plus. I'm pretty sure my ZooMed hygrometer got cracked after I did the salt test, so it was likely not reading accurately--and even if it hadn't, I couldn't tell the humidity once the first chick hatched, because he kept flipping it over and/or sitting on it!

I ran the Brinsea for a few days this past week, to see what my humidity was dry, with one well filled, with both, and to see how to get humidity up for lockdown (at least 24 hours between each change). I then cleaned everything with a freshly-bought bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

Anyway, packaging and egg pics!

Box looks good--the upper and lower left corners were the most damaged looking. And @RavynFallen double boxes anyway.

Oh, dear, I see yolk in the shavings...

First casualty...

Didn't bother unwrapping these two--too skinny to have an intact egg in 'em...

The majority of the damaged eggs were from the center of the box
idunno.gif

Ten intact eggs (the two by themselves had some yolk on them--wiped them off with a paper towel dampened with hydrogen peroxide and wrote "Dirty" on them).

The egg with the crack on the bottom and the one with the side window--decided not to try to seal and set them, after all.

Full egg tray!

With probe. Note the high-tech twist tie
wink.png

Resting and waiting to be plugged in tonight, 12 or so hours after opening the box.

I couldn't actually see aircells in any of the Marans eggs... Of the Sulmtaler eggs, one had a broken and fully detached aircell (written on the egg--'twas also one of the dirty ones, so that one has quite a bit of writing on it, even before I (maybe) trace aircells), and the others aren't solid, but aren't too loose. The aircells I could see were all smaller than a dime, but larger than half a dime.

Blech! I hate seeing broken eggs... sorry, hon... :(

Did save you from having to choose which ones to set, but I was hoping you would have choice of better air cells... ugh...

Anyways, good luck on your hatch!! :fl

Back
Top Bottom