The heat is awful!

Here in Ohio it's been super hot too....very humid and nearly 90 degrees--88 yesterday. I am lucky to have lots of shade for my flock of 20, and I've been out replacing their water a few times a day.......this heat is really unbearable....poor chickens have been breathing with their beaks open, and holding their wings out to cool off.....A good idea is also to mist your chickens with some water. They really don't mind water......

HA! Now THAT is a laugh... August and September are when the heat really settles in, like a stubborn old cuss not wanting to cave... our first bit of "cold" doesn't usually hit until Halloween... within a week or two of it either way, which makes picking a costume tricky...

But, I loathe cold, so this works for me... I'd much rather be sweatin' than shivering.
smile.png

I hear yo there PM!! It gets very hot here in AZ also. I am originally from MI and have to say that although I hate the 110 degree days, at least you don't have to shovel sunshine off the driveway!!​

Quote:
Yep its terrible here as well don't know where you are in the state. I change water 3 times a day. I have a sprinkler going and I am putting a fan out. Luckly its supposed to drop later this week.

Henry

Yep, been in the mid 90's and with humidity, the heat index in the 100's here in mo. I just let mine out to free-range every day and they head into the woods where they hang-out all day and then come back at dusk. I can hear them scratching and interacting the whole day in there. The hens come down to the house or one of the tractors lay their egg and go back up in the woods. They haven't had a problem. The only one that I worry about is the one Bantam RIR that is brooding in our garage. I keep on taking her out even with her loud objections and putting her with the others. She comes right back. I don't know how she does it.
smile.png

Quote:
HA! Now THAT is a laugh... August and September are when the heat really settles in, like a stubborn old cuss not wanting to cave... our first bit of "cold" doesn't usually hit until Halloween... within a week or two of it either way, which makes picking a costume tricky...

But, I loathe cold, so this works for me... I'd much rather be sweatin' than shivering.
smile.png

Maryland is an average of 7 degrees cooler than central Texas in August. Generally starting out around 90 as average highs. Of course this year hasn't been average at all and I don't know if it will be a longer summer because of it, or if it will get back to normal. Mid Sept here in Arkansas has average highs around 85 degrees, the upper end of optimal for meaties. Maryland wouldn't be too far removed from that, so starting a batch in August or Sept, depending on your location, would be about right as long as the temp were holding to norms.

Lived in this house 4 months today and DH hasn't done whatever it is that he needs to do, so we can hook the water up on the fridge. I've been making ice for the animals and us for days. It was 104 yesterday and was supposed to be the same today. Nope....106! It's after 6pm and still burning up. Guess my BCMs enjoyed the ice though cause one actually coughed up an egg. LOL

I feel for ya in AZ. Hubby lived there years ago after the service. I've wanted to move there for years, but spent a few days in YUMA! Ouch! Then again my family reunions are always in July in Oklahoma. hhhhoooooottttt

I think the heat is no different then us living in a house with no air conditioner. I think as long as you give them fresh water and some shade most will stay in their coop if it gets too hot. Meat birds from my understanding have weak hearts to begin with and that is why they die. I plan on putting mine in the shaded part of our yard by the edge of our acre of woods, it is usually a lot cooler there.

Back
Top Bottom