The hen that started it all

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bijouneko, Jul 23, 2016.

1. bijouneko

bijouneko New Egg

Jul 21, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG] this lady was given to us 2 weeks ago by a family that knew very little about how to care for chickens. Her whole flock became dinner for a fox :( they gave her to us coop and all to start our backyard flock. Anyone have any guesses as to what breed she is? Also the feathers on her back look like they were cut, perhaps from the attack or mites?

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Australorp, perhaps?

~Alex

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Her back looks like rooster damage. If there aren't enough hens to keep a roo busy, he overbreeds them to the point of damage. You can get her a hen saddle/ apron that she can wear and it will protect her back while new feathers grow in.

I'm not certain but, looks like a Black Australorp to me as well. They are great layers

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If she is your only bird, it might be an idea to get some additional adult chickens to keep her company, as chickens are social animals.

5. bijouneko

bijouneko New Egg

Jul 21, 2016
    We were thinking black austalorp as well :) thanks guys from what we have been told she has never been around a rooster, she sure isn't now, unless one of the 18 week pullets is being tricky lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by