The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

@cmom tonight's candling showed 19 live embryos. They're on lockdown in the hatcher as I type. I should see some fluffy fuzz in 2-3 days!!!
fl.gif

celebrate.gif

Hey guys! thought I'd drop in and see how you guys were doing and show off our reds now that they are a little bigger.
big_smile.png
These reds are courtesy of Ken Weaver(Weaversrocks). Thanks, Fred. I know they aren't perfect, but I'm happy to have a starting point. They are 5 months old.

Blue band with the girls

Orange band with the girls.

We ended up with only three cockerels from the hatch. Here is what I am seeing so far, please let me know if I'm incorrect or missing something:
Grey band is out. Carries his tail way too high. Type isn't great and comb isn't so great either. Pretty bird, but not for breeding.
Blue band has the best type of all of them. His comb isn't that great, though. Not horrible, just doesn't follow the shape of the neck. His tail is also a little too high, but he's the best I have right now. He's probably the one I'll keep.
Orange band has a great comb, but something is wrong with his tail. I've never seen anything like it. I'll try to get some better pics up for critique sometime.
Like I said, not perfect, but better than nothing. I look forward to being able to add new blood soon.
cool.png

You got a start. There are lots and lots of culls in there. I hope you like to eat chicken. I see a couple of pullets that came from a very good pen. Keep those. I agree with your assessment of the culls. These are laying Reds and most are not up to type. They're a work in progress and I sincerely hope you'll help work toward the standard with them.

You might consider this. Hatch from only the very best two females. I'd put the rest of the females in the layer barn. I'd eat those males, quite honestly, but if you wish to give the best of them a try, that's fine. But again, they're a work in progress and you'll need to really sharpen your hatchet.

Ken has some superb birds this year, really upping his quality. Might want to go back and get a few from his "A" pen, not his utility pen. I know for a certainty that you'd not be disappointed in doing so.

You got a start. There are lots and lots of culls in there. I hope you like to eat chicken. I see a couple of pullets that came from a very good pen. Keep those. I agree with your assessment of the culls. These are laying Reds and most are not up to type. They're a work in progress and I sincerely hope you'll help work toward the standard with them.

You might consider this. Hatch from only the very best two females. I'd put the rest of the females in the layer barn. I'd eat those males, quite honestly, but if you wish to give the best of them a try, that's fine. But again, they're a work in progress and you'll need to really sharpen your hatchet.

Ken has some superb birds this year, really upping his quality. Might want to go back and get a few from his "A" pen, not his utility pen. I know for a certainty that you'd not be disappointed in doing so.
Agreed. While blue band is the best looking of the three, he'd be better served with noodles. It would definitely benefit the breeding program to find a better male. Years of struggling to achieve what's desired can be gained (instead of lost) by picking up one or two good cockerels and putting him/them over your best two or three hens.
wink.png

Last edited:
Another thing to consider, don't be disappointed if you don't get ideal birds at first. As the others have said, selective breeding will bring results but not all of the chicks even out of the selected breeders will cut the mustard. I started with my very original pure Reds around 6 to 7 years ago. I was disappointed in the beginning as they were not where I thought they should be but I kept picking out my best and breeding them and I did eventually get some very nice birds. Remember that even though you are breeding your very best not all chicks may measure up to your expectation and there will always be culls. I do sell most of my culls to people that want layers and nice yard ornaments. Even my culls have the nice dark color that people like. Good luck and have fun...

Another thing to consider, don't be disappointed if you don't get ideal birds at first. As the others have said, selective breeding will bring results but not all of the chicks even out of the selected breeders will cut the mustard. I started with my very original pure Reds around 6 to 7 years ago. I was disappointed in the beginning as they were not where I thought they should be but I kept picking out my best and breeding them and I did eventually get some very nice birds. Remember that even though you are breeding your very best not all chicks may measure up to your expectation and there will always be culls. I do sell most of my culls to people that want layers and nice yard ornaments. Even my culls have the nice dark color that people like. Good luck and have fun...
In other words, you're saying the reds I got from you won't produce perfect chicks every time??? :eek:

:lau

I hope so, you should get some very nice chicks. The eggs came from my top breeders.
I'm trying very hard not to think about having another day or two for them to hatch. I'm soooooo looking forward to watch them grow up. I know they won't be perfect ( no such thing), but I'm confident there will be some fine birds to choose from as next year's breeders. Just have to get them to come out of their shells first... :lol:

You can breed #5 and #1 together. They are separate families. They are ALL related to Matt's birds.
I actually just had that conversation with my wife the other day. I told her how we'd have to keep records of which pens and birds were bred together, as well as offspring. However, I'm not opposed to line breeding within the same family if they have good traits. I will probaby line breed to start, and keep the two family's blood separated. I plan to breed to standard aggressively. When the time comes for fresh blood, I'll have it.

Back
Top Bottom