The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
Come on chickies...
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

This is the dad to #5 He cut his comb but that is not a defect. Before he cut it it was beautiful. His name is Champ and he is a champion.

Off to get a new well pump. Tomorrow it will be put in so one more day without water.

Last edited:
This is the dad to #5 He cut his comb but that is not a defect. Before he cut it it was beautiful. His name is Champ and he is a champion.
Thanks for sharing, cmom... I was really hoping Champ was in one of the pens!!! Did I mention I have 4 pips in #1 and 3 in #5? You should be a proud grandma (again), and I a proud daddy, starting sometime today!!! :fl

About 8 years ago, I got a line of birds from a lady who had bred them (carelessly) for over 10 years. These are what I referred to earlier as a "utility line" of Reds. To this day, they still need work to push them ever closer to the Standard, but they're coming. Yes, there's still careful breeding and heavy culling that still needs to be done, but you can see some very nice progress and some good individual birds in that line now.

So why even bother with them? First, their history. They are descended from birds bred by Wilfred Kittle/Dick Horstman birds. They are not showy. For that hobby, I breed Nelson birds that I show with my grandson, so that's fine with me.

But, these old birds, while far from the flashiness of a Chamness/Reese/Nelson/Flanagan type line, are incredible birds and are the homesteader's best friend. They jump and breed fertile and pop out of the shells. They mature a good bit quicker and lay heavy, often 50 eggs more per year. My layer pen will always have these birds. When it is dark or cold, or rainy or winter, they'll lay X-Large dark brown eggs and do not care. So, they're not for everyone and certainly not for folks looking to show them at the highest competitive levels perhaps, but homesteaders LOVE these birds and for very, very good reason.

Last edited:
About 8 years ago, I got a line of birds from a lady who had bred them (carelessly) for over 10 years.  These are what I referred to earlier as a "utility line" of Reds.  To this day, they still need work to push them ever closer to the Standard, but they're coming.  Yes, there's still careful breeding and heavy culling that still needs to be done, but you can see some very nice progress and some good individual birds in that line now.  

So why even bother with them?  First, their history.  They are descended from birds bred by Wilfred Kittle/Dick Horstman birds.  They are not showy.  For that hobby, I breed Nelson birds that I show with my grandson, so that's fine with me.

But, these old birds, while far from the flashiness of a Chamness/Reese/Nelson/Flanagan type line, are incredible birds and are the homesteader's best friend.  They jump and breed fertile and pop out of the shells.  They mature a good bit quicker and lay heavy, often 50 eggs more per year.  My layer pen will always have these birds.  When it is dark or cold, or rainy or winter, they'll lay X-Large dark brown eggs and do not care.   So, they're not for everyone and certainly not for folks looking to show them at the highest competitive levels perhaps, but homesteaders LOVE these birds and for very, very good reason.
Not only for the history, but as long as they fit your needs, they are definitely worth keeping. Glad you're able to bring them closer to the standard while retaining their prolific egg laying capability. Keep up the good work, Fred! :bow

Five or six years ago, Jimmy Rankin got some birds directly from Mr. Kittle, who was 94 years old at the time. As far as I can tell, Mr Kittle is still going at 100 years of age. A life long member of the Reds Club and a sponsor of an advertisement in the APA annual Yearbook always with his motto, "bred to the standard, bred to lay".

Mr Kittle is possibly the longest and oldest member of both the APA and the RIRCA. Upon returning from WWII, he was instrmental in sending the Reds back into Europe where the war had desimated the flocks over there. This was also a time when there was a substantial "fork in the road" for the Reds here in America. The commercial birds were about to displace the Reds as the nation's premier egg layer, small holding farms were going the way of the DoDo bird and the project "Chicken Of Tomorrow" program was about to result in the modern hybrid broilers. All this left the Rhode Island Red and other American class birds in limbo. Most of the Reds breeders were now consigned to breed the birds darker and to the newer idea of the type. Exhibitions and fanciers now held the destiny of the breed. Mr Kittle did not show a lot, but his now passed son did exhibit. Wilfred maintained his old views on breeding and what the Red should be. It is quite unique and differs from those whose focus is on exhibition of the contemporary Red.

By today's way of looking at the Red, the world of Mr Wilfred Kittle had seemingly past. The birds he bred are not as refined, just are not. But I've stuck with them over the years and tried very hard to push them toward my view of the standard today. We got a very good male this year and many, many females that are as solid, true to the standard as one might wish. But over all, the cull rate on these birds is simply very high if one wishes to improve their overall type. The good news is that the males eat very well at 17 weeks and the pullets will crank out eggs for the table so culling isn't all that painful. They're chickens. Chickens doing what they're supposed to do, provide eggs and fryers. The old ones make dandy broth and stock.

So there it is. I just moved some 5 week old chicks to the brooder barn. I will post some photos of them in a few weeks when they're feathered out along with some Nelson chicks and you can decide what's what for yourselves.

Wilfred Kittle coming home from WWII. Second photo is Donnie Baker picking up birds at Mr. Kittle's Pennsylvania farm for Jimmy Rankin.

Last edited:

Five or six years ago, Jimmy Rankin got some birds directly from Mr. Kittle, who was 94 years old at the time. As far as I can tell, Mr Kittle is still going at 100 years of age. A life long member of the Reds Club and a sponsor of an advertisement in the APA annual Yearbook always with his motto, "bred to the standard, bred to lay".

Mr Kittle is possibly the longest and oldest member of both the APA and the RIRCA. Upon returning from WWII, he was instrmental in sending the Reds back into Europe where the war had desimated the flocks over there. This was also a time when there was a substantial "fork in the road" for the Reds here in America. The commercial birds were about to displace the Reds as the nation's premier egg layer, small holding farms were going the way of the DoDo bird and the project "Chicken Of Tomorrow" program was about to result in the modern hybrid broilers. All this left the Rhode Island Red and other American class birds in limbo. Most of the Reds breeders were now consigned to breed the birds darker and to the newer idea of the type. Exhibitions and fanciers now held the destiny of the breed. Mr Kittle did not show a lot, but his now passed son did exhibit. Wilfred maintained his old views on breeding and what the Red should be. It is quite unique and differs from those whose focus is on exhibition of the contemporary Red.

By today's way of looking at the Red, the world of Mr Wilfred Kittle had seemingly past. The birds he bred are not as refined, just are not. But I've stuck with them over the years and tried very hard to push them toward my view of the standard today. We got a very good male this year and many, many females that are as solid, true to the standard as one might wish. But over all, the cull rate on these birds is simply very high if one wishes to improve their overall type. The good news is that the males eat very well at 17 weeks and the pullets will crank out eggs for the table so culling isn't all that painful. They're chickens. Chickens doing what they're supposed to do, provide eggs and fryers. The old ones make dandy broth and stock.

So there it is. I just moved some 5 week old chicks to the brooder barn. I will post some photos of them in a few weeks when they're feathered out along with some Nelson chicks and you can decide what's what for yourselves.

Wilfred Kittle coming home from WWII. Second photo is Donnie Baker picking up birds at Mr. Kittle's Pennsylvania farm for Jimmy Rankin.
Thank you for sharing that fascinating story, Fred. I love reading the history of different lines, and especially when it's as well laid out and detailed as you wrote. As I was reading it, I couldn't help but draw a parallel to the stories Mr. Blosl used to write about. I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to share stories like Bob... and I'm sure he's smiling down on you right now. I'm sure Mr. Kittle is very happy knowing that you're keeping his life's work going as well. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone like Mr. Blosl or Mr. Kittle whom I could spend hours with talking about chickens, so any stories that give details about lines and breeding practices are soaked up like a sponge in my mind. Please feel free to share any other stories or tips... I'll be forever grateful.

Joey Graham

I just hatched out a small batch of 10 eggs from 2 hens. I forgot to turn on the auto turner and did not realize it until 10 days later when I checked weights for moisture loss.

I had one of the hens go broody in that time too, so after day 18 I put all the eggs under her and 8 hatched out
woot.gif

Got very lucky on the losses, 80% hatch rate for not turning the first 10 days is not too bad.

I'll let her raise them so I don't have to build another brooder since a have 3 week old chicks in the brooder atm.
That's just about a miracle. The broody, too! Congrats!

About 8 years ago, I got a line of birds from a lady who had bred them (carelessly) for over 10 years. These are what I referred to earlier as a "utility line" of Reds. To this day, they still need work to push them ever closer to the Standard, but they're coming. Yes, there's still careful breeding and heavy culling that still needs to be done, but you can see some very nice progress and some good individual birds in that line now.

So why even bother with them? First, their history. They are descended from birds bred by Wilfred Kittle/Dick Horstman birds. They are not showy. For that hobby, I breed Nelson birds that I show with my grandson, so that's fine with me.

But, these old birds, while far from the flashiness of a Chamness/Reese/Nelson/Flanagan type line, are incredible birds and are the homesteader's best friend. They jump and breed fertile and pop out of the shells. They mature a good bit quicker and lay heavy, often 50 eggs more per year. My layer pen will always have these birds. When it is dark or cold, or rainy or winter, they'll lay X-Large dark brown eggs and do not care. So, they're not for everyone and certainly not for folks looking to show them at the highest competitive levels perhaps, but homesteaders LOVE these birds and for very, very good reason.
So, when you are satisfied with this line, will you refer to them as your own line? Sounds like you are very dedicated to them.

Five or six years ago. . . .
Always appreciate stories from you, Fred. Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing.

We are currently raising 4 breeds: Reds, Rhodebars, Australorps, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. All good stock; all with defects. I have been asking myself if we should cut back a breed or two. We are of very modest means and can't really afford to keep an expensive hobby(4 kids; 100+ chickens; one income), but we do love them. Maybe we just got in over our heads. I would drop the blue laced red wyandottes in a heartbeat(they eat a ton, are difficult to breed, aren't very prolific, etc. etc. etc. . .), but they are currently the only breed we have that are bringing in any revenue at all. We chose them for my 11 year old daughter, and she loves them.
Though, I don't think I am willing to drop any of the other three.

I love the history and everything else about the reds.
I'd like to see what I can accomplish with the Rhodebars(they need a lot of work), and the breed needs some dedicated hands in the US. Plus, they work well with the reds.
Blue australorps are a favorite breed of mine for many other reasons.

I will probably cull most of the reds, all of the wyandottes and keep working with the rhodebars and australorps for now.
That will really simplify things.

Last edited:
Referring to them as "my own line" is relatively unimportant to me. My oft repeated refrain here is pretty simple. If you makeup the breeder pens and make the breeding decisions, the offspring are yours, good, bad or indifferent. Having one's name on a line is a very rare thing and represents the poultry communities affirmation of what you've done. Ya can't really claim that for yourself.

Anyhow, the main reason I've kept that genetic going was simply the utility of the birds. Their heritable egg laying strength. That "seems" to go from the mother to her sons and thus, the son is important to push it into the next gen's daughters.

What I know about the codes and science involved with genetics wouldn't fill a thimble. But I do observe, take and keep solid notes and pay a lot of attention to details. I found that these things, developed primarily as a farmer, have stood me in pretty good stead upon getting into standard bred poultry some years back.

Good luck with your project birds and do understand the current rules of getting any breed accepted into the APA or ABA. The bar gets raised a bit higher all the time, something I personally support, for what it's worth.

Quote:
#1 is Sonny and he looks as good as Champ does. At the last show I was going to take Sonny but a person who also shows and places well at the shows told me to take another one of my males and his name is Skipper. Skipper did OK but after the show I wished I had taken Sonny.
cowboypistol.gif

#1 is Sonny and he looks as good as Champ does. At the last show I was going to take Sonny but a person who also shows and places well at the shows told me to take another one of my males and his name is Skipper. Skipper did OK but after the show I wished I had taken Sonny.
cowboypistol.gif
Thanks for the update. Will add that info to my notes. Have any pics of Sonny? Still no zips, but have 10 good external pips. I can't wait to see them fluffed! But yet I have to...

Back
Top Bottom