The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
A teaser for sure -- not fair -- they are gorgeous! The bare ground is also a teaser -- we have snow, snow snow.

On the Heritage Large Fowl site, someone said the rose combs are tall -- tall enough that they could possibly be a problem in my ND winters. It's going to be -15 tonight and -22 tomorrow night. The poster thought I should stick to cushion or pea combs. Thoughts?

Becky

Most of the Rose Combs that I have know came out of Minn. it is as cold as your region and they had no problem. Also, I have a freind who has some in Illinois. Rose Combs will do just fine in your weather. Its the single combs that have a tough time in your weather but many many people have raised them in your weather you just have to protect them at the cold nights simple way is put them in card board boxes during the cold nights and put vasoline on the combs. Maurice Wallace did not have any problems and he lived in Canada.

When I lived in Wisconsin I made a box three feet tall three feet wide and put a door on it on the top. I had a light inside the box 75 watt and a roost in the middle about a foot off the floor. They would get on the roost ever night and on super cold nights I would drop the door and they would be just nice and warm in the box when the nights got super cold. Most important issue I was taught was keep the moisture level down in they coop. As rose combs being tall their heads should be about 24 inches from comb to floor just like single combs.

Get you some Rose Combs they will love your climate. bob

Quote:
I've talked myself into some RC RIR's. I love the idea of the box within the coop. One of my coops is a former ice-fishing shack that is insulated, so it's pretty warm. As far as the combs, I didn't explain myself very well......The poster told me the comb is high off the head and might not do well in ND (I said tall, should have said high) but you have convinced me they will do well in ND in any case.

Becky

Quote:
I've talked myself into some RC RIR's. I love the idea of the box within the coop. One of my coops is a former ice-fishing shack that is insulated, so it's pretty warm. As far as the combs, I didn't explain myself very well......The poster told me the comb is high off the head and might not do well in ND (I said tall, should have said high) but you have convinced me they will do well in ND in any case.

Becky

When I was a kid I got a letter from Rev John Melchert of Minn. He said he had some of his males in the basement of his house . I thought that was kind of odd but then he said it was 40 below zero. The coldest I had up there was 25 below zero. Dont worry they will love it in the ice fishing shack and get them a TV and play some old Green Packer Games that will keep them busy. Rhode Island Reds are tough.bob

hey rebecky54. I m actualy in your neighborhood. If you have trouble finding good rir rosecomb stock I will be hatching some chicks nearer to the end of april. Parentstock are from Adrian Radamaker. I have 2 cockerels and 3 or 4 hens that I saved for breeding. These are top notch heritage rose comb rirs. Many ribbons have been won with adrians chickens. Not meaning to step on a true breeders toes, but it may be already to late to get chicks from him this year, and to have another rir raiser nearby would be great. You would also save on shipping and insurance. Let me know if your interested.

Mel
9 month rose comb RIR
53185_008.jpg

one of my grumpy rc pullets
53185_004.jpg

some of the boys
53185_010.jpg

Last edited:
That male sitting on the pallet looks very very nice. If you live in his back yard get some chicks or eggs from him. See they love the Cold Country. Thanks for the pictures.

Can you folks see the difference between a real Heritage Rhode Island Red and the common commerical Red?

Make no mistake no hatchery sells this kind of chicken in the Rose Comb Rhode Island Red.

Excellent birds and hope you hatch many this spring. bob

Quote:
Yes, I am interested. Where are you located? I'm in Hettinger.

I've read that RIR are both friendly and calm and also noisy and aggressive? Doesn't really matter, just curious.

I may still get some birds from Mr. Urch as I need some Buff Leghorns for a breeding project.

Thanks,

Becky

It was -20 last night, and the water in my fishing shack now chick shack didn't freeze solid. It had a good crust, but the center was liquid. Same temperature tonight, but all my birds seems to do well. Can't wait to get rid of the rest of my hatchery stock in the spring and get some real birds. I do have nice Blue Cochins and Buff Chanteclers that are a breeding project.

Becky

Yes, I am interested. Where are you located? I'm in Hettinger.

I've read that RIR are both friendly and calm and also noisy and aggressive? Doesn't really matter, just curious

My rc hens are a little grumpy. They are a little clannish, roosting and eating together, away from the rest of the hens who keep their distance. Although my winter coop is a little crowded which may contribute to this a little, I"ve heard the rir hens are like that. My rc cockerels are gentile and quiet. I only pick up my birds to move or work on them and two of the three guys hardly make a fuss. They have a deep horse crow which is not too often. On the other hand I also have a very nice line of single comb rirs. The cockerels are a little stand offish and the hens are beautiful, very large and docile birds. Although a little more active they are quiet too. I think it has a lot to do with the line. I am near Lefor. I will put my e mail address on my profile and you can contact me there.

Mel

Wow! currently - 24

Last edited:
Western Edge, those are some nice birds you have. After seeing your Rose combs my wife has decided I need one for my RIR girls. Now to find someone closer to west central Arkansas if possible that has rose comb RIR.

Back
Top Bottom